Sign in to follow this  
Cold Sea

Griqua Gold

Cold Sea

image00748.jpg

This item listed by DNW as a gold ingot with the Griqua coat of arms, sold for roughly R200 000.00. The stamps were added later. Interesting piece if indeed it is a Griqua issue.

Guest Guest

Fascinating

But that bird symbol is not and never has been the Griqua "coat of arms"

Where did its label "Griqua gold" originate?

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Guest Guest

PS

Here is the list of current London Bullion Market Association markings on hundreds of gold bars: LBMA | Gold List

You will note the word Griqua appears nowhere.. and never has.

The bar is likely to be German (birds were often used to ID belongings) - perhaps Thomas can cast some light on this?

FYI here is what the Griqua seal (coat of arms) looks like - from the Griqua title deed signed by Adam Kok that I hold in my museum... http://www.tokencoins.com/griqua/kokt2.jpg

and the "coat of arms" on their flag has always been the kanniedood plant...

I am waiting with anticipation for someone to suggest that the Griqua mine gold at Griquatown! Here's a reality check.. video of the only mine near Griquatown and the archaic manner in which tigers eye is mined - filmed just a few weeks ago:

Suggestions that this bar has something to do with the Griqua is almost as laughable as the suggestion that the Griquatown tokens ever circulated amongst the Griqua!

I am just waiting for the news of the first Griqua rocket being launched into outer space from the water tank at Griquatown :))

Here is that water tank... http://www.griquas.com/2011/19/19e.jpg

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18