Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seahorsefanatic

ASKING QUESTIONS ON ITEMS FOR AUCTION

4 posts in this topic

Another problem I have and maybe someone can explain this to me. When asking a seller a question on an item that you are interested in or a potential problem you see and the seller does not respond by the time the item is sold - why does this question not show on the item and if the seller knows it will only show once answered and does not like the question, is he/she free to hold the answer back till after the auction or not answer it at all.

This is raised due to a lot for sale on Wednesday (yesterday) where three covers were offered with what seemed to be stamps stuck on the covers or could have been loose. The covers had their original stamps as issued by the post office but appeared to have additional stamps added at a later date. These could have also been loose and I then would have bid on the item

Should the seller not be compelled to answer a legitimate question before deadline on the item ? This could be say up to 3 hours before the items deadline. Should the question not automatically be raised at the time which would alert other buyers ?

When looking at lots, I'm always interested in any questions asked as this gives me a better idea of what I am buying. What do others think ?

Hi Dave

Yesterday I asked a seller a question regarding a "Boer War" vesta case. My question - "How do you know this is Boer War?", His response "What is your offer?".

The item closed without me increasing my bid because of his poor response. I then sent him a message on another one of his items complaining about his response as I actually felt hard done by, if he had given a reasonable answer I probably would have bought the item. At the same time I see that on this item a buyer has offered him R300 for the item and he has replied that it is too low. I decide to send a community watch asking if this type of behaviour is allowed. I then get an updated reply on this question from the seller calling me stupid and saying I don't know what I am talking about, how can I send a community watch etc etc and he will delete any bids I place on his items in future.

The item closed, he re-listed it today but my question is missing, how did he delete it?, how did he know that I sent the community watch?, how come he got feedback but I did not?, this all seems a bit arse about face.

Regards

Gabriel1

Hello David

Do not know why I am getting involved in this, but you know me. I get involved…

Should the seller not be compelled to answer a legitimate question before deadline on the item ? This could be say up to 3 hours before the items deadline. Should the question not automatically be raised at the time which would alert other buyers ?

This is called a TURKSVY. Get your Afrikaans dictionary out. Phonetics in English TURRRKSFAY.

I used to list (and hope to do so again in the future) up to 35 items on the Wednesday Auction. What if some vindictive seller posts a question on each and every lot? I will sit in front of the computer for an hour or two, just to make my items (already all on premium listings) sellable. What if, for some reason, I cannot attend to any questions at all? Also, VERY OFTEN I get questions from new bidders asking, for instance, how I can list such and such an item at R1-00 only? Or how do I know that the stamp is genuine? Or can I give them some advice on selling their stamps? Also a seemingly valid question like “can you send me a scan of the Gum Side†after the stamp had been describe as Superb Unmounted Mint is a no-no. Questions like these I ignore. I simply choose not to answer them.

But on the other hand, I fully agree with your post. There are just too many items listed that need further scrutiny. Perhaps the answer is to make any question visible once it had been asked. Apparently it used to be like that, but BidorBuy changed this, because this system is very obviously also open to abuse.

The listing that you are referring to (three FDC’s) is a tragic joke. Korrie alerted me to it and had least we had a good laugh.

Regards

Jacques

1. When I was asked a question by Jacques on one of my items which I thought sounded rather negative I contacted and discussed the item with him and he apologised at the wording of his question which if another buyer read, could have been perceived in a negative light. I asked his permission to delete the question and he agreed and furthermore stated it was not his intension to sound derogatory.

2. When seahorsefanatic posed a question on one of my crazy wednesday auction lots, which was unflattering I chose to leave it there as I felt by deleting it would indicate that I had something to hide, which was not the case.

3. I posted a question to a seller this Crazy Wednesday, who was selling http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/10513591/48_page_double_sided_stock_book_white_pages_Good_condition.html - a 48 page Stockbook with rust. The seller mentioned it had rust but what was confusing to me was that it stated the condition GOOD, can be used to store your bulk stamps. EXCUSE ME! have you not heard that rust is like a virus- it spreads. Guess what? The question never appeared beneath the question and answer section and I got no reply. I can only assume that the seller deleted it immediately it appeared. Remember, each seller will receive an email regarding the question posted so the them so they are aware it will appear beneath the item been sold.

What on earth is going on?

Confused Angela

This particular item was querried with the seller very soon after it was added to the auction. I querried the rust on the pages as Im sure many others noticed this as well.

This seller is in Durban and the presence of rust/tonning which is induced by moisture is one of the biggest threats to ones stamps as the moisture once present will affect other stamps as well. Once there is very difficult to remove without some form of damage to the paper and the rest of the stamp/cover/document.

If one goes back to my original posting - DESCRIPTION OF LOTS FOR AUCTION - this is exactly what I have been on about. Make the potential buyer aware of the faults and then if they still overpay, good luck to the seller - this is a free market - but should also be a fair market.