Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alloway65

2011/2012 PHILATELIC BUREAU's SA STAMP CATALOGUE.

7 posts in this topic

Just received the above referenced Stamp Catalogue...one can now buy the PO's surplus stamp stock going back to 1997!!! Interesting.

Hello David

Thanks for this information.

Just imagine if you as a stamp dealer invested R140 000-00 (far less than R1 000-00 per month) over the last 14 years.

I am sure that you can use your imagination to complete this post as far as return on investment, gross profit, nett profit, etc, etc, is concerned.

That is why I do not touch new issues.

Thanks and regards

Jacques

Hi Jacques,

Very upsetting for collectors and especially stamp dealers.

The CTO stamps appear to be at half price.

Luckily I stopped buying new stamp issues in the mid to late 80s with the exception of the Inauguration and Mandela issues....and a few others!

I have a feeling this will badly affect the Philatelic Bureau's future turnover.

The Stamp Catalogue has 142 pages and must have cost a fortune to design and produce, it must weigh 500 gms.

I might buy a few issues for my Grandchildren.

Take care & regards

David

Hi to all,I have just received my copy of the Catalogue,who would have thought that the FDC I bought at Ilsapex 13 years ago would be cheaper to buy at the PO now.Makes one think.

On another point whilst browsing yesterday I came across a Pierneef cover that sold for R821.00 am I missing something here? the ID number is 46791563,I don't know how to attach a link to this listing.Everyone have a great day Regards Kevin

Hi Nivek,

I also can't see what we might be missing in this item. It had a starting bid of R650.00 and 2 bidders pushed it up to R821.00

First Day Covers & Sheets - PIERNEEF was sold for R821.00 on 17 Oct at 08:16 by bigfish4 in Cape Town (ID:46791563)

I think we will have one very disappointed buyer when they learn the true value of the item. Also to note the sellers other item at R6,500,000

Hi all

Me thinks that as the bidding is discreet, this is all a smokescreen to artificially inflate the true value of the item. If someone stumbled on this item and looked at the bidding without being aware of the true value, thet could have easily been tempted to bid and ended up with a lemon.

What happened to all those lovely mint blocks of Penny Blacks that were offered and bought by some local from a seller in eastern europe ? Did the buyer ever see his items ?

The less said on the R6,500,000 item the better. This item is catalogued at about R1.00 in good condition as it is a common definative.

Anyone bidding R821 on a philatelic item should at least understand what it can be obtained for elsewhere. BoB has a sold items section where bidders can look back and see what similar items sold for in the past. Is it really that easy to part people from their money? Also: better look at the sellers ratings from buyers, and the general nature/ category of items sold. See "other items from this seller"- it should be obvious if you are dealing with a knowlegeable philatelic seller, with a money back guarantee. then finally- Caveat Emptor!!