Sign in to follow this  
myangel

How do I handle this?

myangel    10
myangel

It's a long story - but I have made a sale of an item which I have had listed for a long time and reduced to sell and get it out of my house:grin:

I want to sell as one of the bidders withdrew after reporting me to BOB after they were outbid. See the comments if you have the time or energy :grin:. The remaining bidder now wants to pay in two installments - how do I handle this if I have only BOB payment as an option? Obviously I do not know the buyer and she is new to BOB... so not sure what to do?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

See the auction details Here

Exercise Equipment - Energym Turbocharger Exercise Machine - Reduced to Clear! was sold for R1,199.00 on 24 Oct at 22:16 by myangel in Pretoria / Tshwane (ID:47293438)

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

This is such a personal decision, myangel. If you can see your way clear to helping the buyer, let him/her pay in two instalments. You are not obliged to do this because a bidder on an item has to meet the seller's payment terms, but if you are able to assist then do so.

That's just my opinion ...

mellowred    10
mellowred

Hi myangel. Goodness, you did have a bit of a rough one with that item. Some nasties bidding on it.

Agree with Lilly on this - it's up to you.

You could check with BoB, but I assume the balance would remain as unpaid in their records until the final payment is made. I don't know if they have a time-limit on outstanding payments though.

staccato    10
staccato

If it's ok with you, allow the buyer to pay in 2 installments, however, don't send the item until you have received full payment. Make this clear to the buyer and warn that if the second payment is not made, the buyer will forfeit the first payment, this way the buyer will make the second payment. If the item is not paid for, you can still file SNC after a month.

myangel    10
myangel

Thanks all. Appreciate the advice. My heart thinks like you Lilythepink - feel like just donating the thing... but will see if I can get one payment and if that's it then so be it. Thanks again.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Myangel - please do not send the item until you have been paid in full (including shipping!) If buyer doesn't make the second payment, you can always do a refund to her of the first payment, less your bank costs if you pay bank charges.

DestinysAngels    10
DestinysAngels

Unless otherwise stated or by permission of BOB (i have asked BOB this one before) and the answer was no and as far as i know still is, we as sellers are not allowed to do any lay-buys or installment payments whatsoever, sorry to burst your bubble!

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL

I would just re-submit it for bidding,to hell with the guy who cancelled and if the winner can't afford to pay for it, she shouldn't have bid on it.

"Needs and Wants"-You "Need" to Consult your wallet before the "Wants" get the best of you...:suspicious:

Edited by ATOMICSQUIRREL

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Thanks for the "news", DA. Surely payment is between seller and buyer so long as the full amount is paid within a reasonable time?

Cuan - why can't this be negotiated between seller and buyer? Two instalments doesn't sound ridiculous if the seller is agreeable to them?

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL
Thanks for the "news", DA. Surely payment is between seller and buyer so long as the full amount is paid within a reasonable time?

Cuan - why can't this be negotiated between seller and buyer? Two instalments doesn't sound ridiculous if the seller is agreeable to them?

MMMm mmm could work, she only gets the item after she paid in full. Lay bye, 2 months, if she fails to make the second payment as agreed. she forfeits the first payment and it goes up for auction again.:razz:

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

The only reason I don't like this is that the buyer should really have negotiated this prior to bidding. If myangel is happy with the transaction and BoB is agreeable - then all is well - however in principle these sorts of arrangements really should be worked out a little sooner - particularly with a higher priced item?

I worry that other buyers then all start trying the "lay by" thing - could get a little messy - although on the other hand - maybe it would encourage more sales - since folks would actually buy more stuff? Intriguing...

qball    11
qball

Installment sales and lay-bye's are problematic mainly due to the fact that the buyer generally cannot afford to pay upfront and in our experience sometimes battle to pay the outstanding balance. Then what usually transpires is that the the buyer can't make the 2nd, 3rd, 4th payments etc. By then the seller sits with some of the money and not the full amount, sometimes they ship the goods expecting payment which doesn't happen. The other problem, is that when the outstanding balance is not paid, seller's then want to file SNC's, and this usually happens after the 60 day period. The other issue is that the seller sits with the buyers money for extended periods of time and sometimes forget to ship, or in some cases the seller disappears for whatever reason and then the buyer can't get his money back - all of which has happened.

qball    11
qball

It's up to the seller, but do not ship until full payment is received. If the final payment is not made, you cannot tell the buyer that they will forfeit their initial payment, this will have to be refunded.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Thanks, Cuan. Glad that there is a point of negotiation between seller and buyer if the seller is willing to consider it. And of course the seller would be obliged to refund payments made if the full amount isn't paid within the time agreed upon, so it's entirely up to a seller to consider the risk involved I guess.

At least it isn't against BoB rules. Whew!

myangel    10
myangel

PTL - The buyer paid the full amount yesterday. I really had decided to "donate" the item for half price as I did not feel like all the hassle and hey I had originally decided to donate it to charity anyway - I just did not think anyone at a charity organisation would have use of it. Alls well that ends well:angel:. Thanks for all the advice y'all !

staccato    10
staccato
PTL - The buyer paid the full amount yesterday. I really had decided to "donate" the item for half price as I did not feel like all the hassle and hey I had originally decided to donate it to charity anyway - I just did not think anyone at a charity organisation would have use of it. Alls well that ends well:angel:. Thanks for all the advice y'all !

Glad it worked out! Buyer and seller happy, "and they lived happily ever-after"...