Sign in to follow this  
flysouth

Revenge Ratings

flysouth    10
flysouth

This happens time and time again. It is not often that I give a negative rating, but then the seller changes the initial positive rating given to me, when I have completed my part of the deal.

I bid and won a piece of murano glass jewellery from a seller in Cape Town, which I paid for quickly and which was shipped quickly. When I received the item, I noticed 3 very distinct flaws and there was no organza bag in the package, which was included in the listing.

I emailed the seller about my dissatisfaction and received a reply saying, basically, that as I had won the item for R1.00 it was probably not worth my while to return the item and incur more shipping costs, which I fully agree with. Why throw good money after bad.

After checking some of his ratings for subsequent sales, I noticed that some buyers also noted the 'poor quality' and others the lack of all items in the listing. Hence my negative rating, he was shortchanging buyers again and again. I was amazed at the sellers reply to these comments, that he would send the missing items with future orders. Is this a new type of sales ploy???

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore
After checking some of his ratings for subsequent sales, I noticed that some buyers also noted the 'poor quality' and others the lack of all items in the listing. Hence my negative rating, he was shortchanging buyers again and again.

It was not 'right' for the Seller to change his / her initial rating.

Having said that....

Positive, Neutral or Negative rating should be between the parties; Buyer and Seller. If a Buyer is unhappy with the quality of the item and/or service and after contacting Seller for resolution, Buyer is still displeased, then a neutral or negative may be warranted. That rating / comment hopefully would be based on that particular transaction....not on ratings / comments from other Buyers.

Edited by Not1CentMore

Murano_Jewellery    10
Murano_Jewellery

Hi, I am the seller being accused of a revenge rating but I felt justified and there is always two parts to a story.

Buyer informed me on 14 August of dissatisfaction with pendant and the fact that I had forgotten to place an organza bag. I deeply apologised for forgetting the bag but the act wasnt malicious as in fact I was in process of changing delivery of items to a more safer option and sent instead the item in a strong plastic container costing R3 instead of the inconsequential 60c organza bag. I offered the client a refund but aware that the item was only R1, I also offered her a replacement. I would also like to say the picture of the pendant does indeed also show an imperfect pendant compared to others I sell, but some buyers like the imperfection (which are not flaws) and those who don't - I offer a no questions asked refund policy. As such, I ended my email to her with the words "Please let me know how you wish me to best rectify and I shalldo my best to assist you further."

This was done on 15 August. I received no email reply but on 7 October (almost 3 months later) I received the negative rating "junk, item had 3different flaws, murano do not make/sell items of this quality, no organza bagand special packaging was ziplock bag in plastic tub."

I feel any seller would be offended by such a derogatory rating when I did indeed try to satisfy the customer and therefore felt a recipricol negative rating is justifed showing my overall bad experience dealing with a customer who does not have the courtesty to reply to emails or show courtesy in her public remarks as I definitely do not sell "junk". Had she just left a neg rating saying she was dissatisfied I would have accepted it, but I had to defend the reputation of my store with such a rating. I do hope the other side of the story will spread some light on this issue as I in return do not wish to be spoken of as a revengful rating seller.

Sincerely

MJ

Edited by Murano_Jewellery

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

It is usually those buyers who get something for nothing (i.e. R1.00 plus postage) who are the biggest complainers.

As you say, murano, there are always two sides to a story. I feel sorry that you had to contend with all this!

flysouth    10
flysouth
After checking some of his ratings for subsequent sales, I noticed that some buyers also noted the 'poor quality' and others the lack of all items in the listing. Hence my negative rating, he was shortchanging buyers again and again. QUOTE]

It was not 'right' for the Seller to change his / her initial rating.

Having said that....

Positive, Neutral or Negative rating should be between the parties; Buyer and Seller. If a Buyer is unhappy with the quality of the item and/or service and after contacting Seller for resolution, Buyer is still displeased, then a neutral or negative may be warranted. That rating / comment hopefully would be based on that particular transaction....not on ratings / comments from other Buyers.

I hear what you are saying Not1CentMore, and have based my rating on my own experience, not the experiences of other buyers. Further I wish to point out that if, as a buyer, I relate my experience and dissatisfaction on this forum, which I understand is principally what it is for, then other buyers will have a better understanding of the way some sellers conduct their business.

flysouth    10
flysouth

The amount of the winning bid, whether it is R1.00 or R100.00 is inconsequential in this context. If this seller wanted to show his bona fides, what would he have lost if he had offered to put an organza bag in an ordinary envelope and post it, or any of the other items of which he shortchanged other buyers. I am sorry to say, i think you are backing the wrong horse here if you think his actions are OK.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Die waarde van Liefde vir jou medemens....

Geagte flysouth..... Do you understand Afrikaans? I am Afrikaans speaking and I would like to talk to you about your wonderfully spend, priceless ONE Rand please.... ASB.!!!!

Ek bedoel dit 100% opreg. Uit my hart uit ASB.!!!!!!!!!!!!

TS Ron    10
TS Ron

Fly South firstly my input here bring the buyer to the forum and bash it out here instead of telling the one side of the story. Not nice to bad mouth a seller if they are not guilty.Rather not bid on the sellers items if you were not happy with the sale.

wayjen    10
wayjen

Ratings are the most fought over thing on BoB it seems. Is there no other way to trade without ratings or with a different rating system?

On another note, I am trying to figure out on whose side Lily falls with the 2 posts above.

TS Ron    10
TS Ron

Lily is sitting on the fence she is not saying the buyer is correct or is she saying the seller is correct hmm. Was the bag lady horrible to you today but not wanting to push your trolley?:cry:

wayjen    10
wayjen
Lily is sitting on the fence she is not saying the buyer is correct or is she saying the seller is correct hmm. Was the bag lady horrible to you today but not wanting to push your trolley?:cry:

nope. she didn't tell the first poster there are always 2 sides to a story only that it sounds like a case of revenge ratings. When the seller comes on then they get told it's only the buyers that win things for R1.00 that complain and there are always two sides to a story.

Very confusing.

TS Ron    10
TS Ron

Okay Wayjen I believe amateur boxing is a way to relax. I am going to organize this now here on bidorbuy I am sure we shall not be able to produce enough tickets. Instead of having the forum we can then watch the buyer and seller taking out their frustrations on each other?

Or even better can we organize something similar to Jerry Springer show never watched one in my life. I did believe it was satire.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
Ratings are the most fought over thing on BoB it seems. Is there no other way to trade without ratings or with a different rating system?

On another note, I am trying to figure out on whose side Lily falls with the 2 posts above.

I think I commented before we had heard both sides of the story. Yes, it is very wrong of a seller not to send items timeously or keep a buyer informed. All I wish is that there is no "spite" involved in anything - the world goes awry often enough without deliberate nastiness so I hope everything gets sorted out soon between buyer and seller.

Murano_Jewellery    10
Murano_Jewellery

Thankyou Lizbe and Gogga for your fair comments. On a more positive un-Jerry-Springer take of things, I must say how I admire those sellers who have not hundreds but thousands or stars and 100% ratings! How do they do that as surely we all make mistake and sometimes regretably disappoint a buyer. While I am very disappointed (heart sore actually) to have lost my 100% in the case above all I can say is WOW and well done to others who keep the bar so high. How do you all do it?

staccato    10
staccato
Thankyou Lizbe and Gogga for your fair comments. On a more positive un-Jerry-Springer take of things, I must say how I admire those sellers who have not hundreds but thousands or stars and 100% ratings! How do they do that as surely we all make mistake and sometimes regretably disappoint a buyer. While I am very disappointed (heart sore actually) to have lost my 100% in the case above all I can say is WOW and well done to others who keep the bar so high. How do you all do it?

In my opinion, I think it's about being honest, prompt with queries and a LOT of patience! I don't have 100% ratings,(some buyers are just plain ignorant and spiteful) but I try my utmost to please a buyer and avoid neg ratings.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

I am not perfect and do make mistakes, but when one is brought to my attention, after kicking myself 'evey which way but Sunday, I do my best to resolve it...to my Buyer's satisfaction.

With 'difficult' Buyers...it takes a lot of bending over backwards, biting the tongue and adding an 'ignore' button to the keyboard.

Then there are 'Those'...

'Those' are Buyers who jump out of the Great Unknown and rant and rave 'like there is no tomorrow' over THEIR mistake: not reading before bidding, not bothering to use the Q&A option, 'not bothering as much as a hangnail' to contact Seller IF there is a problem, much less try to resolve it because they are (my opinion only) 'dumb-dumbs' who haven't a clue on how to walk upright and communicate beyond 'wee-wee-weeing' all the way to CW or 'grunting', 'groaning' and 'rock and mud slinging'.

Thank-you, 'dumb-dumbs'. You have made me appreciate my 'quality' buyers a thousand-fold.

Ruthie

Edited by Not1CentMore
spelling

TS Ron    10
TS Ron

Murano Jewellery I know exactly how you feel. I believe in the Karma what goes round shall come around. You shall get your ratings up to 100% again. Be positive do not give any attention to something this negative you can not change it on your own.

Murano_Jewellery    10
Murano_Jewellery

Thank you

Thank you Gogga and the Fairy for your kind words (also sorry for late reply as had difficult accessing forum). Regarding ever coming right I am not sure it is possible as having 100% is kind of like being white paint - as soon as you get a negative it is like a drop of black paint, no matter how much you pour more good ratings on top of it, forever afterwards you are no longer white but a shade of grey...

I suppose the best thing to do is keep the negatives to a minimum, but in a way I am kind of glad I have received my first negative and really feeling that there is nothing I could do to prevent it - as it sort of relieves me of the pressure of perfection. However, like many other sellers have said before, I do wish BidorBuy could change the ratings towards a way for good sellers to redeem their 100%.

MJ

ziggy2000    10
ziggy2000

Hi Murano, don't worry about the negative rating, it is virtually impossible to maintain a 100% positive rating given all the factors we deal with. When I received my first (and thankfully only) negative rating, I was strangely relieved because at last the unthinkable happened and finally I could relax. I say, just try your very best, be fair, offer good service, that is all we can really do.

Edited by ziggy2000

wayjen    10
wayjen

Thank You Bertus!!!

We received a revenge rating from a Buyer who dictated our terms and conditions and Bertus sorted it out for me.

Thank you Bertus.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I am close to giving a negative rating to a seller who can't even apologise for giving me an incorrect tracking number - after taking ages to post a few beads. However, I am taking some deep breaths first ....

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet
I am close to giving a negative rating to a seller who can't even apologise for giving me an incorrect tracking number - after taking ages to post a few beads. However, I am taking some deep breaths first ....

Have a smoke.:rolleyes:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

The seller apologised - most profusely - and all is now sorted. (Glad I remembered to take some deep breaths - and I didn't need a smoke to do it!)

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

Well done, Janet!

The seller apologised - most profusely - and all is now sorted. (Glad I remembered to take some deep breaths - and I didn't need a smoke to do it!)