Sign in to follow this  
Craig

Best ways to clean your lenses

Craig

Hi Guys! I recently went off to Zanzibar.. when getting off the airplane, my lens was covered with a layer of water/condensation due to the change in temperature from the aircraft to getting outside.

I stupidly wiped off the lens with my shirt in my panic leaving a little smudge etc..

My question to you is what is the best way to clean a SLR lens?

MiemsJewels

Graig, I would also like to know. Especially when you open a pot and the steam foggs your glasses.

My next lenses will be fitted with wiper blades for sure!

MiemsJewels

Graig, I know you get some liquid that they put on the car's windscreens. Don't know what they call it.

lilythepink

Would meths or surgical spirits not help - but please use a very clean, soft cloth (as in the little lappie that the opticians supply with spectacles!)

staccato

A little neat vodka or clear spirit does the trick

admin

Those little square alcohol goss strips the Doctor uses to clean the spot before he gives you an injection cleans any type of glass like magic. Works wonders on the pc screen as well, used to clean my vcr's head with it regularly back in the day.

catzcan
Would meths or surgical spirits not help - but please use a very clean, soft cloth (as in the little lappie that the opticians supply with spectacles!)

I don't know if that's such a good idea Lilly. I know that it is bad for our microscope lenses. I'll phone Kev -my son. He's studying photoghraphy, so he should know. We use very weak soap solution to clean the oil off and then just water to take the soap off

lilythepink

Craig, with your avatar you look like qball's brother! lol

Edited by lilythepink

TS Ron
A little neat vodka or clear spirit does the trick

Staccato I am sure he would rather drink the vodka I know that the vodka works well.

Cosmic Kat

Craig I would say use a good quality lens pen or ask at your nearest photo lab for a lens cleaning kit.

Craig
Craig I would say use a good quality lens pen or ask at your nearest photo lab for a lens cleaning kit.

Are lens pens better than conventional cleaning methods? I've heard that they're better only to use when travelling..

How long does a lens pen "last"?

I see they go from around R100

Lens Pen for sale. Buy or sell Lens Pen related items.

ATOMICSQUIRREL
Graig, I know you get some liquid that they put on the car's windscreens. Don't know what they call it.

I have seen it, its got a little duck on the bottle...no not toilet duck!

Dish washing liquid works like a charm aswell!:angel:

jphotography

Alcohol swaps works well. I normally take a few with when ever I do photo's, way cheaper then fancy kits you buy.

lilythepink
I have seen it, its got a little duck on the bottle...no not toilet duck!

Dish washing liquid works like a charm aswell!:angel:

I wouldn't risk using anything too liquid or soapy on a camera lens. Sneaky leakage could get inside the lens!

TS Ron

I agree with Lily you get special cleaning wipes for camera lenses I would not use liquid soap or water to clean a camera lens.