Sign in to follow this  
dstorm

Railway Stamps

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello everybody

Are there any Railway Stamp collectors out there?

This is a fascinating aspect and an extremely neglected part of philately. While Revenue Stamps are more popular, Railway stamps are all about the PRE PAYMENT of letters and parcels. Thus it is more closely related to “normal philatelyâ€.

Regards

Jacques

gabriel 1    10
gabriel 1

Hi Jacques

I took on Railways as a whole, starting with covers then adding parcel stamps, baggage labels, postcards and finally postmarks, the latter being the the most difficult and interesting in my view. Alot of the postmarks, baggage labels tie in with my Boer War collection, Kruger was heavily involved in establishing the NZAM, I was fortunate enough to buy some of Hagens postmark collection which boosted my own.

Railways is so vast that it is a collecting field on it's own, alot of the post offices were opened at the railway stations and often the Rail and Post was handled by the same person. There is also quite alot of reference material available to the collector, Hagen and Naylors Railway Postal History of South Africa is a good start, there is another book on Railway Commemorative Covers, author escapes me at the moment, Putzels Encyclopedias on Post Offices and Postmarks are vital in this field.

Interesting facts come to light such as Waterval Boven and Waterval Onder, both next to each other but handled by different Rail Companies. There were 2 Royal trains for the the Royal visit of KG VI, 1947 and 5 different cachets, the Royal Party travelled on the White Train. etc etc.

To answer your question, yes, I collect Railway Stamps.

I have a question of my own, can anybody tell me anything about 'The Perkins Correspondence'?

Regards

Gabriel1

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello Gabriel1

I have a question of my own, can anybody tell me anything about 'The Perkins Correspondence'?

Yes. I have two or three items in my stock. But that is all that I can tell you on this subject.

On second thoughts, I think that Perkins was a Railway Engineer. But I might be wrong.

Regards

Jacques