Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Reality check - videos with 2 key people confirm Griquatown tokens NEVER circulated.

Guest Guest
I was browsing the Fitzwilliam museum's 19th century private coin / token collection and I came across this coin:

Image Window

Notice anything similar to the Griqua coins? The coin is pretty worn but look at the feet and the wing and how the bird is standing. The similarities are no coincidence: this is a silver token coin designed by Thomas Halliday in 1811.

Here's a top quality Griqua coin obverse for comparison:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2304[/ATTACH]

Regards

dennrein

Sorry

But I see absolutely no similarity. Its just another bird on a coin.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Guest Guest
Here is the entire quote from LMS South Africa chief Dr. Philip (1828: 69) on the Beaufort Fair of 1819:

"The institution of this fair speaks volumes. For whom was it istituted? It was instituted for the Griquas, a people who, a few years before, were naked savages! Who were the dealers at the fair? The principal, or, I may say, the only dealers at this fair were Griquas. At the first fair, the business done by that people amounted to twenty-seven thousand rix-dollars; and on most of the goods sold to the Griquas by the colonists, the latter had a profit of from two hundred to five hundred per cent."

This proves that the business done by the Griquas alone amounted to twenty-seven thousand rix-dollars. You can calculate from that what kind of profit the white colonists were making.

Hi Dennrein

My take on the quote I have given you from Eric Rosenthal relates to trades in the Griquatown region - ie NORTH of the Orange River.

Rosenthal, as many on this thread would know, was a highly respected researcher in his time.

PS I am sure that Derik will "take umbrage" that the quote suggest.. the Griqua were naked savages a few years before (ie 1816 - now why does that year ring a bell with Parsons claims on the tokens?)

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18