Sign in to follow this  
kpk

Lab Created Simulated Diamond

kpk    10
kpk

Hi.

Can a seller say that they don't know what kind of stone is in the ring after describing it as Lab Created Simulated Diamond ? Is there not a full disclosure policy within BOB endorsed by the Consumer Protection Act to avoid false advertising and attempts deceive the general public.

I have done a bit of research on my own regarding the make up of different lab created stones and have found out that once the word "simulated" is placed in the description the stones can be any of the following:

Simulated diamonds are made of glass, minerals or synthetic and in recent years there has been an increase in the number of simulated diamonds marketed under a variety of different names.

§ Cubic Zirconia (Russian Brilliants, Diamond Nexus, Asha, Diamonique, CARAT*, Van Graff, Diamonelle, Zirconite, etc.)

§ Moissanite

§ White Sapphire (white corundum)

§ Yttrium Aluminum Garnet (YAG)

§ Gadolinium Gallium Garnet (GGG)

§ Strontium Titanate

§ Rhinestones (glass)

Could BOB please check with sellers to confirm what it is they are selling, them saying they don't know is already an infraction on my rights because the sellers cant possibly be advertising something if they don't know what it is.

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

Now youv'e got my brain rattled kpk!

I thought a lab created diamond is just what it say: LAB CREATED!

Cubic Zirconias = Cubic Zirconias.

Maybe you can give us a lecture about this issue!

If I buy it as a Lab Created Diamond, I list it as a Lab Created diamond....What else. Because this was the description given by the supplier!

Now What??

Edited by MiemsJewels

qball    10
qball
Hi.

Can a seller say that they don't know what kind of stone is in the ring after describing it as Lab Created Simulated Diamond ? Is there not a full disclosure policy within BOB endorsed by the Consumer Protection Act to avoid false advertising and attempts deceive the general public.

I have done a bit of research on my own regarding the make up of different lab created stones and have found out that once the word "simulated" is placed in the description the stones can be any of the following:

Simulated diamonds are made of glass, minerals or synthetic and in recent years there has been an increase in the number of simulated diamonds marketed under a variety of different names.

§ Cubic Zirconia (Russian Brilliants, Diamond Nexus, Asha, Diamonique, CARAT*, Van Graff, Diamonelle, Zirconite, etc.)

§ Moissanite

§ White Sapphire (white corundum)

§ Yttrium Aluminum Garnet (YAG)

§ Gadolinium Gallium Garnet (GGG)

§ Strontium Titanate

§ Rhinestones (glass)

Could BOB please check with sellers to confirm what it is they are selling, them saying they don't know is already an infraction on my rights because the sellers cant possibly be advertising something if they don't know what it is.

Unfortunately we cannot contact every seller to check their listings or confirm this. I don't actually think it's an infraction of your rights as a consumer - they have disclosed it is lab created and simulated, therefore not a genuine diamond - technically what they are saying is correct in our view. If you want to know what type of simulant it is the buyer also has a responsibility to enquire with the seller. As far as we are concerned, as long as they do not advertise it as a diamond and then you get a variation of a simulated diamond, there is nothing dishonest or deceptive about the listings. Please note, there is also a difference between synthetic and simulated diamonds (synthetic being actual diamond). Simulated diamonds are called many things, but the bottom line is that they are not genuine diamonds and as long as the seller lists it like that, we have no problem with it. It is lab created and it is not a diamond rather a simulated stone - these facts are indisputable. The seller has given you enough information to advise you that this is NOT a genuine diamond - in our humble opinion.

Hope that helps.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Thanks Cuan for sorting this out once and for all. A diamond by any other name is not a genuine diamond and all reputable sellers mention this fact quite clearly in their listings. I do not understand why this question even arose?

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

Lukeness is the one of the best people to give the exact definition of this. Anything that's "simulated" is not genuine. Lab Created Diamonds, to my knowledge, can also be genuine diamonds which are treated in a lab, therefor still seen as diamonds.

The wording "lab created simulated diamonds" is a bit misleading and I personally will not use it. As far as I recall, there is only 1 seller who advertises this way. Just my 1 cent opinion.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Lukeness is the one of the best people to give the exact definition of this. Anything that's "simulated" is not genuine. Lab Created Diamonds, to my knowledge, can also be genuine diamonds which are treated in a lab, therefor still seen as diamonds.

The wording "lab created simulated diamonds" is a bit misleading and I personally will not use it. As far as I recall, there is only 1 seller who advertises this way. Just my 1 cent opinion.

There has been a thread about this before...

Here is an advert with the exact phrase "lab created simulated diamonds":

Other Rings - Stunning Fashion Ring for sale in Gans Bay (ID:47772651)

Edited by MsPlod

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

"Lab Created Simulated Diamond" is a little confusing (because you won't know what you are buying), but, it is technically accurate.

The first part, 'Lab created', tells you that the stone is man made. The second, 'simulated diamond', basically tells you that it is not a diamond (natural or lab created) but could be used as a look-alike.

What they've basically said is that the stone could be ANYTHING that can be made by man and should look somewhat similar to diamond.

So they could be selling glass, plastic, quartz, sapphire, CZ, moissanite, YAG or pretty much anything else.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Thanks, Lukeness. I don't know where this forum would be without your guidance. Much appreciated that you take the time to help so often. Blessings.

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

Thank you for your kind words.

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL

I only buy "Earth Created Diamonds":nuts:

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

I whole-heartedly agreee Lily. This is one person whose wise words and expertise can be absorbed.! Thanks for the feedback Lukeness.

Thanks, Lukeness. I don't know where this forum would be without your guidance. Much appreciated that you take the time to help so often. Blessings.
Edited by Miss Jewels
spelling

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Also "Discrete" listings.

My - but I loathe discreet listings!!

Why would costume jewellery such as this need to be auctioned/sold discreetly? Naked gems? Bare gold? I suppose the same goes for any of the gem / jewellery traders who regularly sell items for under R500 discreetly (I use R500 as an arbitrary amount - no reason other than it seems strange to me that what I consider to be relatively "low-value" items should be sold discreetly).