Sign in to follow this  
dstorm

Will I be shot (again)?

dstorm

Hello to all in the Art World

I fully admit that I have a very limited knowledge of art.

I wish to buy an affordable piece of art or two. For myself. To enjoy.

I have been browsing the entire “Art directly from the artist” section tonight.

It is all about a still life, a beach scene, a farm with a Cape Dutch house, the Big Five, a lady with an apple / hat / shell, etc, etc. Innocence as in innocence.

Where is the city life? With a bit of thought provoking decadence / cynicism. Think Jack Vettrianno or our own John Meyer (both of whom I could not afford even if I were to sell my house) or our own Sasha Hartslief (whom I could not afford even if I were to sell my car).

I have heard so many complaints on the forum about artists not selling their art for what the canvass and paint should be worth. Why?

I am ready to take some flak, but please give me some input. Am I alone with this question?

Thanks and regards

Jacques

Edited by dstorm
Left out full stop.

MiemsJewels
Hello to all in the Art World

I fully admit that I have a very limited knowledge of art.

I wish to buy an affordable piece of art or two. For myself. To enjoy.

I have been browsing the entire “Art directly from the artist” section tonight.

It is all about a still life, a beach scene, a farm with a Cape Dutch house, the Big Five, a lady with an apple / hat / shell, etc, etc. Innocence as in innocence.

Where is the city life? With a bit of thought provoking decadence / cynicism. Think Jack Vettrianno or our own John Meyer (both of whom I could not afford even if I were to sell my house) or our own Sasha Hartslief (whom I could not afford even if I were to sell my car).

I have heard so many complaints on the forum about artists not selling their art for what the canvass and paint should be worth. Why?

I am ready to take some flak, but please give me some input. Am I alone with this question?

Thanks and regards

Jacques

Hi Jacques,

The best buy these day is still a Vader Claerhout, not so expensive any more, for "unknown" reasons. That is if you also like donkeys Jacques. LOL :thinking:

Serious now. Wild Olive Art, Mags11, Lofty Eaton can inform you more on art & paintings. I suggest you ask them!

Best regards

Miems

Edited by MiemsJewels

dstorm

Hello Miems

The last thing I want in my house is a picture of a donkey. I am only putting it this mildly, because we are not allowed to swear on the forum.

I voluntarily feed two donkeys each two carrots a day at our little shopping centre. Yesterday, the one donkey broke loose. I chased the donkey back. The donkey then turned around and chased me. I grabbed a garden chair and defended myself valiantly.

So your timing on the donkey painting is a little out.

Seriously, thanks for your input. I will try to follow up.

My original idea was to support the South African artist (s) directly – not that the amount(s) involved would have been large.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

TS Ron

I agree Wild Olive shall give you some good advice though contact her!

mellowred
I voluntarily feed two donkeys each two carrots a day at our little shopping centre. Yesterday, the one donkey broke loose. I chased the donkey back. The donkey then turned around and chased me. I grabbed a garden chair and defended myself valiantly.

After that experience, perhaps a little painting of a donkey shaped into a dart board would suit you. Darn donkey's, they can't be trusted. :cheesy:

Where is the city life? With a bit of thought provoking decadence / cynicism.

I agree on this one. And it doesn't need to be city life. Village life has it's fair share of decadence generally mixed with a good dash of humour. Should be excellent material for an artist.

alloway65

Hi Jacques,

We love artists P.E.Miller and Johan Manefeldt plus a few others, we have numerous of their paintings going back about 20 years....always pleasing to the eye and pocket!

If Artists in the Sun is still on the go, last Sunday of the month at Zoo Lake a good starting place....nice cross section of local art and and mostly reasonable prices.

We have given up buying art as we have run out of wall space.

Frame some RSA stamps there have been a few nice ones.

Good picture hunting.

David

ATOMICSQUIRREL

What i know about fine art is Dangerous!:weird:

I buy my posters from Musica!:awesome:

Wild Olive Art

Hi Jacques

I think you may find that " affordable " is the operative word here . There are many SA artists who paint scenes inspired by city life , I personally own a couple ! You will find plenty of these works in reputable galleries but as you have seen , many of these paintings command high prices.

In my experience , it is just not worth listing paintings for a few thousand rand here on Bidorbuy, they seldom sell on this site. Generally, buyers want bargains and when an artist has taken a couple of days to create a work , there is no way he/she is going to list it on a R1 auction.

Certain subject matters are easier to paint than others and less time consuming , so my guess is , these are the paintings you will find listed for reasonable prices.

If you consider the works by the artists you have named , you can imagine the planning and time that goes into such work.

A good site to browse would be the South African Artists website. You can select the subject matter you wish to browse and there are thousands of paintings listed there !

dstorm

Hello all

Thanks to everybody for their input.

It is highly appreciated.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

lilythepink

Jacques, you cannot go until you tell us what painting you bought! lol

dstorm

Hello Lily

I have not bought a painting as yet.

I do not mind if people call me a kitsch or uncultured, but I really love the styles of Jack Vettriano, John Meyer Sasha Hartslief, etc. These artists just talk to me and I can relate to their work.

So I will look around for something affordable in this style and then give myself a December bonus. This is if my daughter will allow me (she is going to University next year). Perhaps I will have to settle for the donkey after all…..

Keep well and regards

Jacques

booksallsizes
I do not mind if people call me a kitsch or uncultured, but I really love the styles of Jack Vettriano, John Meyer Sasha Hartslief, etc. These artists just talk to me and I can relate to their work.

That, to me, is what art is about - whatever speaks to you and whatever you can relate to, art is personal. After all, you have to see it every day on your walls so no-one has the right to judge anyone's taste! Hope you get that special painting, Jacques, and don't settle for the donkey! :amuse:

MsPlod
That, to me, is what art is about - whatever speaks to you and whatever you can relate to, art is personal. After all, you have to see it every day on your walls so no-one has the right to judge anyone's taste! Hope you get that special painting, Jacques, and don't settle for the donkey! :amuse:

Well put!

A dry donkey might be OK?

lilythepink
Well put!

A dry donkey might be OK?

"O die donkie, die donkie, die donkie is 'n wonderlike ding ..." lol

MsPlod
"O die donkie, die donkie, die donkie is 'n wonderlike ding ..." lol

and wet donkies make an ass of so many!

booksallsizes
and wet donkies make an ass of so many!

He he he! And makes buyers burro their heads in the sand...

Jongleur

dry donkeys are a possibility where it hardly ever rains. unless they swim all day.

Edited by Jongleur

MiemsJewels

Ag no! Another darn donkey. Or do I see double?