Sign in to follow this  
hildat

Possibility of changing rating system?!

hildat    10
hildat

What is the possibility that the IT guys can change the rating system.

When rating on the e-bay system, (and you try to give a neutral or negative rating) the system prompts you to first contact the seller prior to continuing with the rating.

I have had my fair share of "wrongly accused poor ratings of which the last one I received yesterday.

"Neutral rating" The items is not solid silver.:mad:

It was advertised as TIBETAN SILVER and never SOLID 925 STERLING SILVER, as can be seen in the link bellow......

Other Necklaces & Pendants - 10 mm STUNNING TIBETAN SILVER WEAVE NECKLACE LOBSTER CLASP was sold for R125.00 on 14 Sep at 22:16 by hildat in Kriel (ID:45652830)

mellowred    10
mellowred

The buyer's ratings given to sellers is interesting. He has bought 8 items; only rated 4 times, and all ratings are neutral. He is obviously under the impression that ratings are only for complaints.

Very odd!

Fashion Police    10
Fashion Police

Looks to me like one of those people who's only satisfaction comes from complaining

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

When rating on the e-bay system, (and you try to give a neutral or negative rating) the system prompts you to first contact the seller prior to continuing with the rating.

I have had my fair share of "wrongly accused poor ratings of which the last one I received yesterday.

It was advertised as TIBETAN SILVER and never SOLID 925 STERLING SILVER, as can be seen in the link bellow......

Tibetan silver is a fairly new "expression" if I may put it that way.Not everyone knows what Tibetan silver means.If we use the expression "Eastern silver", English silver", Italian silver" etc we expect it to be silver

If I was selling a Tibetan silver item I would make sure the listing stated that it is plated so that the buyer is not mislead.

We cannot assume a buyer knows Tibetan silver is not solid silver.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I agree that not everybody knows what Tibetan silver means but there is no reason why an uneducated buyer cannot ask questions!

And with regard to neutral ratings, it does no harm to contact the buyer and explain the situation to them and ask them to adjust their rating. I find that a kindly email, explaining the situation (e.g. Post Office to blame for late delivery, etc) ease the tension and just by being friendly to my buyers they change their neutral ratings. I must admit that I've only had 3 or 4 neutrals in several years on BoB but this way of handling buyers works for me.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

It is a matter of principal.

I would prefer my buyers to know that the word silver means plated silver or sterling silver or ,800 silver.

voldermort    10
voldermort

Other Necklaces & Pendants - 10 mm STUNNING TIBETAN SILVER WEAVE NECKLACE LOBSTER CLASP was sold for R125.00 on 14 Sep at 22:16 by hildat in Kriel (ID:45652830)

Too true.....another forumite a few weeks ago sold a Faux Fur & lo & behold received a negative rating saying words to the effect "not real fur" :huh: really?

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

There again the word faux is not familiar to everyone.Plain" imitation" to make your listing understood by the majority is more important than using the "Correct word"

hildat    10
hildat

I do somewhat agree with your arguments. As sellers we do ALL however try to "limit" the kind of Lingo that will cheapen your items. Fake & imotation is a sure way to make sure you get NO MORE THAN R1. Let's all be realistic, there is the question option of you are "UNEDUCATED, and winning a 12mm SOLID SILVER NECKLACE for aprox R150.

Proofs my point I hope.

This was not my issue though.

If she contacted me prior 2 rating I would have offered a refund.

Let's try and get a answer 4 the problem as I am sure ALL SELLERS ON BOB sometime or another received an unfair rating, and not look for a "problem that caused ONLY THIS 1 INSTACE'S PROBLEM",

With all due respect to my fellow sellers.

Also, I have been buying on the net 4 the past 3 years and if I was not sure about any kind of description, I google. If you have access to web sales of any kind, you also have access to google.

BUT ONES AGAIN just my view....

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Also, I have been buying on the net 4 the past 3 years and if I was not sure about any kind of description, I google. If you have access to web sales of any kind, you also have access to google.

Not just your view... Mine too. Search engines such as Google are wonderful. I have found out about just about everything I need to know about buying online using one or other search engine. Price comparisons, item descriptions, you name it. There is very little reason to complain about something such as this - particularly since "Ask the seller a question" is a real time option.

Geewhizz - while I also understand your reasoning, us buyers do need to take some responsibility for checking out what the item actually is. If we do not understand something we HAVE to ask.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

Fake in French is Faux but faux in English sounds glorified.

It would occur to me that the word faux would not be understood by the majority and I would therefore describe it as it would be understood by the majority

Silver is silver--Plated silver is plated silver--Finish en klaar

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Fake in French is Faux but faux in English sounds glorified.

It would occur to me that the word faux would not be understood by the majority and I would therefore describe it as it would be understood by the majority

Silver is silver--Plated silver is plated silver--Finish en klaar

You are right of course! However these words are part of a vocabulary which persists in the trading world.

The fact that you are very clear with your own descriptions means that you seldom get come-backs and your 100% ratings show that clearly.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

I have seen jewellery described as ,925 Sterling silver PLD, meaning plated.

To me that is a description used to blatantly mislead.

No authentic item of jewellery will ever have a ,925 sterling silver stamp even if it is plated with ,925 sterling silver

I stand to correction.

Edited by geewhizz

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
I have seen jewellery described as ,925 Sterling silver PLD, meaning plated.

To me that is a description used to blatantly mislead.

No authentic item of jewellery will ever have a ,925 sterling silver stamp even if it is plated with ,925 sterling silver

I stand to correction.

There I agree with you wholeheartedly!

mellowred    10
mellowred

I.M.O. If you are computer literate enough to search and shop for items on line you must be capable of searching for unknown terms.

I agree with Hildat that it is just too easy for buyers/sellers to push that negative or neutral button. I don't believe this buyer has any idea what the rating system is about. A friendly caution before allowing him to proceed may have given him some insight into the consequences of his ratings.

voldermort    10
voldermort

Ahhh wouldn’t it be wonderful to one day read through the Property Section & see honest ads with all the glorification removed....so instead of eg:

Lovely cosy fixer upper, close to all amenities, inviting, paradise for animal lovers, snap it up fast :cool:

What we would read is

Dilapidated pile of shite, close to all crack joints, so inviting it is already home to a family of squatters, best be an animal lover as it is overrun with rats, buy the damn thing before it gets condemned :disgusted:

I am sure the property values would be sky rocketing!

Seriously though, if you don’t know what you are buying, why on earth would you buy it? If you come across an “unknown” word, google it. At the end of the day every seller on BoB is just that, a seller, not an educator......& we are assuming that all buyers would actually know what they are bidding on before committing themselves to any type of purchase.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

If I can make someone a little wiser today by describing a faux fur thus faux(Imitation) then I have done well

This thread is about changing the rating system to allow a buyer to think about a neg or neutral rating before pressing the button. I agree with that.

A property agent is not rated on internet unless the property is sold on Bob.

Nevertheless,being ethical in business should not depend on whether we can be rated on internet or not.

hildat    10
hildat

Thank you mellowred, THIS WAS MY POINT EXACTLY.

And if there are any sellers out there that advertise there items as FAKE FUR OR FAKE SILVER, INSTEAD OF FAUX OR TIBETAN, I would seriously suggest you change your line of work, cause a seller you are not my dear......

One again, only my fiew.

dstorm    10
dstorm
Nevertheless,being ethical in business should not depend on whether we can be rated on internet or not.

Amen.

Regards

Jacques

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE
amen.

Regards

jacques

hallelujah!!!

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello Neil

We are going off topic.

I do not think religious debates are allowed on the forum.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

voldermort    10
voldermort

And if there are any sellers out there that advertise there items as FAKE FUR OR FAKE SILVER, INSTEAD OF FAUX OR TIBETAN, I would seriously suggest you change your line of work, cause a seller you are not my dear......

One again, only my fiew.

Lol...unfortunately I think on BoB the majority tend to go overboard with the glorifying of their items, be that as it may however, if you are selling Tibetan Silver, Faux Fur or Washable Bathroom Slippers, you have described it as what it is & what it is commonly called therefore your description is correct. As has been said on many other threads, the onus is then on the buyer to make sure that they know what they are buying.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

One again, only my fiew.

Let the buyer decide whether someone is a good selleror not

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet
Lol...unfortunately I think on BoB the majority tend to go overboard with the glorifying of their items, be that as it may however, if you are selling Tibetan Silver, Faux Fur or Washable Bathroom Slippers, you have described it as what it is & what it is commonly called therefore your description is correct. As has been said on many other threads, the onus is then on the buyer to make sure that they know what they are buying.

The onus is on the seller to make sure a buyer knows exactly what he/she is buying without having to research it on internet because of some fancy word that is used to glorify an item

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Again, I agree with that statement wholeheartedly. I maintain that buyers can, and should, educate themselves too... Yes, sometimes in the "school of hard-knocks" but actually puleez... if there is a word or phrase in a sales description which is not understood then...

1) Google it (or use another trustworthy search engine like a dictionary)

2) Ask the seller what the description means

3) Make an informed choice

Edited by MsPlod
punctuation LOL!!!