Sign in to follow this  
amcintyre

How to get buyers to rate you?

amcintyre    10
amcintyre

I only sell a few items per week - usually about 5-10. I do this as a side interest from my real work. However, I notice that most buyers do not rate me. I go out of my way to ensure that all items are very securely packaged and posted off the same day as payment is made. So, its not a case of buyer unhappiness (I hope). It just appears to be a case of rating apathy.

Is this a wide spread practice to all sellers or am I doing something wrong here?

Here is a link to my ratings http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/userprofile/UserProfile.jsp?User_UserId=1503709

cella007    10
cella007

Hi there i am having the same problem i have got 95 outstanding ratings from Jan up to now,and all my received ratings are positive so i would also like to know what i am doing wrong

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

I even send out mails after a while requesting a rating stating how important this is to us, etc. To date I've sold 2718 items with only 1893 ratings received. That's 825 outstanding ratings! Ouch

DestinysAngels    10
DestinysAngels

I sold 1244 items all around and only received 987 ratings, so i am missing a total of 257 ratings, i figure, in between all of them i also filed 97 SNC's over time which of some of these buyers are blocked and some blacklisted, so then the sale is actually cancelled as if it never happened and if you minus that from 257 it = to 160, i think it is just ignorance, i do not ask my buyers to rate me as i know BOB will remind them, although i must admit, it doesn't bother me too much, my buyers send me e-mails to let me know they are happy and if not i fix it to keep them happy. Will be nice though, if i got the ratings, as long as it is Positives, LOL!

staccato    10
staccato

It is common that buyers don't rate sellers unless they are not happy, then they are quick to play with ratings. I normally wait for two weeks then post the following message on the BoB page

"Have you received your item? Are you happy with your purchase? If so, I would appreciate a positive rating. If not, please contact me. - Kind regards"

This normally has the desired effect, maybe you should give it a try!

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

IMO one of the reasons is that BoB for some or other reason sends out an email notice

"Please rate the seller of the item"

long before it is likely that the buyer will receive the item.

The email continues...

"Please keep in mind that your rating should reflect your overall experience which includes product, delivery and service. We therefore encourage you to complete your transaction with the seller before placing a rating about this particular experience."

OK, well - we will wait until the parcel arrives then... Oops - the "reminder to rate" email gets forgotten, the goods arrive and the buyer goes on their merry way. Unless of course there is a problem - then the rating comes in really useful - rather than send an email a netural or negative rating informs the seller that the buyer is UNHAPPY!!!!!!!

As a buyer, I use the rating system to track whether I have received something (now) but when I was a newby I didn't get that part. There are some buyers though who simply never - or seldom - rate sellers. They must be really selfish!

My suggestion to BoB is that they send out two emails for each sale (these are automated so it doesn't require much work - just a bit of code...)

The first is informative about using the rating system - letting the buyer know that:

"...your rating should reflect your overall experience which includes product, delivery and service. We therefore encourage you to complete your transaction with the seller before placing a rating about this particular experience."

The second email, a few weeks or a week or two after the sale has been completed should be:

"We notice that you have not rated blah blah blah..."

Off my little soapbox I climb - la dee da dee dah!!!

amcintyre    10
amcintyre

I think that in future, when I send the buyer their tracking number, I shall also include a gentle reminder for them to rate me once their item has arrived.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
I sold 1244 items all around and only received 987 ratings, so i am missing a total of 257 ratings, i figure, in between all of them i also filed 97 SNC's over time which of some of these buyers are blocked and some blacklisted, so then the sale is actually cancelled as if it never happened and if you minus that from 257 it = to 160...

This is a reality...

Here is an example of a trader who issues loads of SNCs - also a lot of buyers appear not to rate the trader at all too...

Items Sold

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Total

[/TD]

[TD]1x1_trans.gifPositive

[/TD]

[TD]1x1_trans.gifNeutral

[/TD]

[TD]1x1_trans.gifNegative

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Past Month

[/TD]

[TD]107

[/TD]

[TD]31

[/TD]

[TD]2

[/TD]

[TD]9

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Past 3 Months

[/TD]

[TD]238

[/TD]

[TD]77

[/TD]

[TD]4

[/TD]

[TD]21

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Total till Date

[/TD]

[TD]4125

[/TD]

[TD]2606

[/TD]

[TD]81

[/TD]

[TD]135

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Just a chuckle... Here is a direct quote (excerpt) from one of the seller's recent ratings by a buyer:

"its a packet full of sh!t!!!"

So a good way to make sure you get loads of ratings is to sell good stuff. Ignore those buyers who do not rate you, rather make sure that those who do have something good to rate you for... 'cause they will come back again and again - AND refer others to you!

Edited by MsPlod
added the chuckle... ;)

TS Ron    10
TS Ron

This an problem we experiencing at the moment I have alot of outstanding ratings from buyers. I make a habit of rating a client as soon as payment is made.