Sign in to follow this  
seahorsefanatic

anecdotes/ stories over the years

dstorm

Hello littleminx

I quote from your post:

I am now building a lovely collection of shoes and jewellery…… I am sure my collection will also flourish and grow…..

Exactly what I am worried about!!!. Seahorsefanatic wants a new seahorse or a just a second hand rhino. Littleminx wants a tanzanite. Say no more.

Regards

Jacques

Kit W

Hi Gabriel 1

I hear what you are saying with regards to the loss of revenue affecting all postal services. Gone are the days when you set aside a Saturday morning to update you correspondence to family & friends - electronic communication has put paid to that.

Only at Christmas, I remarked to my wife (better half) that the number of cards received over the Festive Season have dwindled away to a mere handful - I am sure that BoB has injected a huge amount into the SAPO coffers

The remark you made about youngsters not being able to afford to persue a hobby in philately is also very true & thematics is a good avenue to get started - I have a nephew in Vancouver BC and gave hime a couple of Mandela Inaugural FDC's in 1996 - needless to say, he is highly impressed the way that they have appreciated in value and that planted the seed for him as he now collects some Canadian issues together with the odds & ends that I send to him

Kit W

seahorsefanatic

Hi Kit W and Gabriel 1

I am convinced that the expansion of philately must be at school level and the thematic if you want to involve the younger generation. Collecting fields like Union and Mafeking do not appeal to todays youngster. They will have interests in technology and sport not to mention birds, military etc.

One major good thing to come out of progress is the computer and the internet. I am now able to source material much quicker and get to meet some great people even if over the internet. The down side is that you spend your available funds that much quicker as well !!!.

Thanks Kenny for the good wishes. I will still be punting at the fairs and wouldnt miss the banter for the world. :D:D:D

littleminx

Afternoon Kenny and Jacques

Kenny - I would like to thank you for your support and contribution in building my collections, much appreciated. Also thank you for the well wishes!!

Jacques - can I put your mind at ease here, as long as there are stamps (in the world) that Dave desire, I am sure there will be a sparkly :lol: (or 2) or a "must have" pair of shoes that I will desire!!! :lol:.

Enjoy the weekend!!

Moira

dstorm

Hello Moira

Thanks for the beautiful explanation. Seems as if my sleepless nights are over!

Regards

Jacques

seahorsefanatic

Hi Guys

Just returned from a honeymoon in Mauritius and thought I would share with you a visit we had to the " Penny Blue Museum " in Port Louis.

The museum has all the early issues on display including the one penny orange and two penny blue from the days of Lady Gomm's Ball. The museum has an extensive display from the days of the Dutch in the 1600's to the French and British occupations with the battles that took place in 1810 and beyond. The postal history on display is awesome and richly supported by military campaign maps, drawings and paintings.

The two prize stamps are also on display but are only lit up for about 5 minutes every hour to preserve them due to the heat and humidity and understandable as these two stamps value run into the millions.

The worn plates of later issues are well displayed and the Lapirot issues are well represented. On the groung floor is a well stocked shop with literature etc. I bought an interesting book called " The stamps of Mauritius " and another " Blue Mauritius - The Hunt for the world's most valuable stamps " by Helen Morgan.

Close by is the Post Office with its own museum. This museum's display was more basic but still interesting with lots to see. Attached to this is a shop with a very helpful gentleman selling at face value sets going back quite a few years. Also well worth the visit.

I took over the Stanley Gibbons Stamp monthly issues for November, December 2008 and January 2009 to keep me busy while lying on the beach under a palm tree. ( A coconut fell off the one tree nearly hitting Moira ). The November issue has an interesting article - " A philatelist's guide to Mauritius " by Professor Iain Stevenson which was very interesting. I couldnt find the dealer he was talking about in his article but probably just as well as I was on honeymoon.

Moira ( my wife ) for those who dont know me must take a bow for being so understanding when marrying a philatelist. We traveled into Port Louis by local bus 3 times and each trip was a hour long in stifiling heat and humidity. The second time on Friday (13th) did not achieve what I wanted as it was their day of independence and all the shops closed by 11am. I should have known being Friday the 13th !!!

So if you are going over to Mauritius any time I can recommend the above visits as something you will treasure for years to come.

dstorm

Hello David

Are you back? Or are you writing from your laptop?

I also went to Mauritius on my honeymoon. Spent two weeks there but being inexperienced in life, I never had the guts to mention the word “stamp†during this period.

Full stop.

Regards

Jacques

seahorsefanatic

Hi Jacques and everyone else

Yes back home after one week in Mauritius. Will probably see you at the auction tomorrow or next saturday at your fair. Still thinking about all those early stamps at the Port Louis museum !!!!! bl**dy amazing.

Nice to see new people who read the forum. What about you guys posting a story on this subject. Im sure there are many stories to be told which we would all enjoy.

I starting collecting in 1970 when an aunt who owned a book shop in Cape Town gave me a catalogue that was on sale and not sold. It was the Stanley Gibbons 1970 world catalogue which I still have. This opened the whole world to a nine year old and there were many dreams of British Guana and Penny Blacks. Family were badgered to collect all there stamps off the mail for me and I started buying the packets of stamps at the CNA (which a lot of people still remember) for 10c to 25c.

This followed with numerous world albums. When a local stamp issue was advertised at the post office, my mother would get a set for me while I was at school. My pocket money at that stage was R2 per week which I only got after doing my chores.

All for now - have a great day :)