Sign in to follow this  
geejay50

The grading of medals by ngc

geejay50    10
geejay50

Hello all collectors,

I was recently approached by NGC as to their future policy of Grading of Medals. They were looking to put Medals onto a similar footing as Coins with grades and population reports, Proof and Business strikes. They asked for a list of Medals that would be worthy thereof.

Having a population report is so far a new concept, although they have been grading Medals for years.

I referred them to Mr Hern's book as well as some other noteworthy Medals.

Perhaps the interest in Medals will be stimulated as a result as well as preservation of what is left inside slabs.The size of some medals is so big though that they really could never fit into even outsize slabs - I have seen a Paul Kruger Medal (AM165) that is almost 7 cm in diameter and weighs 156gms!

Even so, its going to be interesting and although I dont have many Medals in my collection, I do have a few that interest me. I sent off the Concentration Camp Medal in Silver and Copper made in Holland in 1901 to raise funds for the victims of the Scorched Earth Policy executed by Kitchener (Hern No 208 (AM91). There were 20,000 Farmhouses burnt during the Anglo-Boer War. NGC has deviated from the official title of this Medallion and now calls it far more appropriately 'ANGLO-BOER WAR ATROCITIES'. I am unable to load pics of the graded Medals (MS64BN for the Silver and MS66BN for the Bronze) at the moment because of Bob system issue but will do so later.

Medal collecting is in my limited view the Cinderela of the collectibles , drawing less money and interest than coins do but without wanting to take sides, I really appreciate the new effort of NGC as I think so will many other interested people.

What do you think?

Geejay

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2038[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2039[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2041[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2040[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2042[/ATTACH]

Edited by geejay50

jwither    10
jwither

Compared to coins, medals are an absolute bargain. And some of them a lot more interesting also. Like most other collectors, I do not have enough funds for everything I would like to buy which is why I do not collect these.

The SA medals I have seen that I like the most are the Krugar issues and the coronation medals. I have a few of the latter in base metal only.

Medals are frequently included in European auctions listed on Sixbid. If anyone here has not taken a look at them , they might be surprised how affordable some of them are.

geejay50    10
geejay50

Hello all ,

I have since been informed that NGC will be prepared to slab even big medals like the big Mandela Medal.

Apologies for misleading anyone and thanks Cuan for sorting out the uploading of pics on Forum.Without visual display this hobby is dead unlike the dimensionless bullion.

Geejay

qball    11
qball

Hi Geejay,

You'll have to thank Mac, he fixed it... :laugh:

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

One must be careful when using the word medal vs. medallion. I think you are referring to medallions. In Afrikaans, medals are called "medaljes".

For the word medallion, although the Afrikaans word "medaljon" is sometimes used, the preferred word is "Penning" - a word that might be slightly archaic, but it rules out any misunderstanding.

For me, the word "medal" mostly refers to an award to a person.

The word "medallion" in general refers to a commemorative issue geared towards to the occasion and not the individual.

Any other thoughts /inputs on this?

Pierre

geejay50    10
geejay50

Thanks for clarrifying the difference between Medallions and Medals Pierre.

Is it safe to say that Medals have usually a point of attachment made into their design, ie to be worn by the recipient and this will distinguish them from Medallions?

Geejay