Sign in to follow this  
jaydon01

What to do?!

jaydon01

I never bid on an item if I don't know what courier costs (or postage) would be to Namibia.

Now, the problem is, since I didn't need these items urgently and sellers said she/he only uses postal I agreed to Bid AFTER he/she said that postage would be the same. After winning and making sure via e-mail what shipping costs would be BEFORE I make payment, I was again re-asured that shipping would be the same.

After paying and not hearing from the seller for 3 days, I inquired, only to get a message saying: "sorry, but SAPO is charging me X amount of money, what should I do?"

Now this X amount is twice what we discussed.

Another seller also, the same. said this shipping will be X amount, and after days of enquiring I get a new wuote which is sky high.

I mean, what's up with that? Is it just me, or why do I get these kind of sellers...

Wild Olive Art

If a seller quotes you x amount for shipping and it is not sufficient to cover the costs , the seller must take the loss .

Nowhere is it acceptable to quote an amount for anything , have the buyer accept the quote and then turn around and change the price!

I would explain this to the seller and if they are not prepared to carry the costs , lodge a complaint with community watch so they can be warned not to do this in future.

Seeds for Africa
If a seller quotes you x amount for shipping and it is not sufficient to cover the costs , the seller must take the loss .

Nowhere is it acceptable to quote an amount for anything , have the buyer accept the quote and then turn around and change the price!

I would explain this to the seller and if they are not prepared to carry the costs , lodge a complaint with community watch so they can be warned not to do this in future.

100% agreed with Wild Olives sentiments! It is the sellers responsibility to ship for the price quoted. If they got it wrong they must take the hit!

Little Miss Muffet

I think sellers assume that postage to Namibia is the same as posting in South Africa because Namibia is on our doorstep

Not so. I have found that posting to Namibia is more expensive than posting overseas.

I have no idea why these costs are so high

retailrush

SA Post Office Rates Book - 1 April - 31 March 2012, page 16 (Letter Post Rates)

For Namibia I usually use the Airmail Small Packets (per 100g rate) - for items up to 2kg. I used to think that I had to use the Rest of World rate, but the lady at the post office informed me that Namibia is inlcluded in the rate for Southern Africa and that is a much cheaper rate.

Then on page 17 - Parcel Rate

Zone A - Botswana, Comoros, Kenya, Namibia, Seychelles, Swaziland, Ascension and St Helena - The rate per parcel and rate for 100g or part thereof for this Zone is cheaper than the rest of the Zones (i.e. rest of the world).

My point being that postage to Namibia is not necessarily more expensive that posting to the rest of the world.

Cali Craft and Gems

I agree with the information that retailrush has provided. Where possible, I always use the "page 16" rates as the parcel is registered with a tracking number and it usually works out considerably cheaper than the amounts shown on "page 17". What I had noticed though when I first started shipping outside of SA borders is that when one makes the enquiry at the SAPO, they will always use the higher amounts - they don't want the 'public' to realise that there are cheaper rates to send the parcel!

Re the seller quoting you a specific postage amount, then changing the amount based on "actual costs" - I agree that the seller should take the lesson and the loss! (lesson being: do your homework before setting your comments in stone)

Alternatively, you can ask the seller to cancel the transaction entirely. With the new CPA act, if I'm not mistaken, the buyer has every right to cancel the transaction and the seller must oblige. The seller will have to file an SNC (sale not complete) with the reason of that the buyer and seller have agreed to cancel the transaction. For the buyer to give "his side of the story", he must send an email to bidorbuy stating why the transaction must be cancelled so that in the case of the seller getting nasty and issuing a poor rating for the cancellation, the SNC admin department can know the truth and remove the rating.

jaydon01

Thank you all for your advice. It's good to know I can hop on here and get advice. Just hope the seller will refund me if she doesn't want to send the goods.

DestinysAngels
Thank you all for your advice. It's good to know I can hop on here and get advice. Just hope the seller will refund me if she doesn't want to send the goods.

:smile:The seller has no choice but to refund you, if they don't you just contact hello@bidorbuy.co.za, there will always be help here available for you guaranteed!

ATOMICSQUIRREL

Sellers should update courier charges/delivery costs on a regular basis. They fluctuate just like everything else in this country.

You cannot charge the buyer for negligence on your behalf.

If all else fails,refund.

just my 2c:bigsmile:

Seven Veils Trading

Same thing happened to me awhile back, except I was the seller; I quoted a parcel to Lesotho, using local rates. Turns out Sapo charges international rates. I had to eat the loss, because I figured changing rates would only antagonise the customer, and make me look inefficient.

Lesson learned.

Seven Veils Trading

PS - thanks to Retailrush for the info on Southern African rates!

staccato

I mail items to Namibia quite often, I use the Airmail option with their (sapo's) envelope and pay R3.00 more than local rates.

jaydon01

Seller is ignoring my mails, and I just received a message on the order that I have to make payment.

I just send her a message directing her to this forum (Cc's Community watch in), so maybe that will get her to reply.

mellowred

Her reply also implies that they have done it before and know the ropes.

we do ship to namibia. we do counter to counter not via courier.

UPDATED: 20 Sep 17:23

Shipping is normal price. R40 for the first item thereafter R25 for each additional item. Thank you

20 Sep 15:16

jaydon01

That's what I also thought.

The other seller I was talking about (in my first post), always replied to my mails, and in the end agreed to cancel and refund.