Sign in to follow this  
jaydon01

Difficult finding Sellers willing to ship to namibia.

jaydon01

Hi,

I see that most sellers don't want to ship to Namibia (they most prob have their valid reasons). I am actually getting fed up with sellers not responding to my questions anout shipping to Namibia (and very grateful to those who do even iif it's negative).

If there are any sellers that ship to Namibia, please send me a message. (I am interested in a variety of goods)...

Regards

jaydon01

mellowred

I've never shipped to Namibia, but had an enquiry once. It involves completing a few forms and is very expensive. But if the cost is at your expense and you are willing to pay I can't see why it is refused.

Only possible reason is that perhaps the seller loses track of it once it crosses the border and have experienced lost packages.

Someone like wayjen sells a lot and has international buyers, so perhaps he can give you a better reply.

jaydon01

It's actually not that expensive, and doesn't involve a lot of forms if you send it via courier. One seller used fedex to send to me, I got my package within one day, and it was not that expensive (I had a lot of items in that package), the other uses DHL, and quoted me R180, also for a lot of items, which is VERY reasonable. And if insurance is added, and package gets lost, it's definitely not the sellers fault. (that's why I prefer courier, because there's less risk of package damaging, getting lost and it doesn't take forever to get here)

I do get quotes which is sky high (but I suspect this is the seller adding their own amount on top of what the courier charges), but it's like you say, if the cost is at my own expensive, why refuse...

wayjen

hello, someone call?

As mellowred has just said we do sell internationally and have sold to Namibian buyers, what seems to be the problem here folks?

mellowred

@ jaydon. My apologies, I was Confucius. I am thinking of postage to Mauritius not Namibia. I did get a quote on Namibian postage once and it was pretty high and the seller did not respond. Had to file an SNC. But in your case you know how to get it to you so I don't understand the problem.

@ Wayne. Help the man Wayne. :weeabooface:

wayjen
@ jaydon. My apologies, I was Confucius. I am thinking of postage to Mauritius not Namibia. I did get a quote on Namibian postage once and it was pretty high and the seller did not respond. Had to file an SNC. But in your case you know how to get it to you so I don't understand the problem.

@ Wayne. Help the man Wayne. :weeabooface:

let me put on my bright tights and take off my spectacles and I will try my best to help out.

Let me give you a scenario of an international sale and believe you me we had quite a few of these.

A buyer from New York bid on a table for R300, sale comes off and now we need to box and ask post office for the postage to America. Postage for the item was R600 (double the item price) and we tell the buyer and they have a fit and basically call us crooks because they have bought from SA before and postage is cheaper.

Firstly we don't charge people for packing and running up and down to the post office for queries which either end up in a sale or sometimes don't. We do not thumbsuck prices and actually go to the post office for a price. I could not care less if you bought from SA or not as every system is different.

There are plenty international buyers who waste a sellers time and there are plenty international buyers who area pleasure to deal with.

Edited by wayjen

Cali Craft and Gems

We ship to Namibia with pleasure - actually all around the world! The only "catch" is that you must wait for us to confirm the actual postage amount before you make the payment...

The shipment method that is recommended is registered airmail for small parcels (up to 2kg) which takes up to 10 days, or if you would like your item within fewer days, then SAPO speed services does offer a service to neighbouring countries, but it does cost you an arm and a leg (around R350 minimum). I have not gone the courier route though so do not know their pricing.

Miss Jewels

Yes...I posted a ring off to the UK yesterday, airmail, and it only cost R145.00 in postage. I've posted to Namibie before, registered airmail, for R127.50 incl insurance. DHL and UPS have a standard fee for all parcels under 500g of R350.00. So using DHL or UPS, is makes sense to combine as many items as possible.

brands online

I just go to the post office, hand the parcel in and they take care of the rest. It is stupendously priced though. An econoparcel that would travel so much further within SA costs R18-65. Same parcel sent to Namibia...R120-R180...:shock:

retailrush

Hi jaydon01 - I am also happy to ship to Namibia - and did so just the other day! I use South African Post Office Registered Airmail for items up to 2kg. I haven't gone the courier route either, so can't comment on that.

jaydon01

Mellowred, I'm actually a woman :)

I see most of you use SAPO, but isn't a courier service better? (and by the looks of it,it can sometimes be cheaper), no going to a post office, courier service just picks up and drops off.

Anyway, getting back to the post: I usually ask for shipping price before I bid, if i don't get a response I don't bid, if they say they'll get back to me, then again, I don't bid (don't want the scenario wayjen had). If they ship via postal,then again, I don't bid (I had packages get lost through post, and even though they were insured, nothing came of it).

I really believe using fedex or DHL (you may know of some others) are better options. Easy, fast, with no hassle (and to me, not expensive at all).

P.s: I have someone in Cape Town I can send my goods to (but, i'd rather pay the +- R400 to get my goods to Windhoek, than R49, and wait untill my sister inlaw sends it to me)

wayjen

I see most of you use SAPO, but isn't a courier service better? (and by the looks of it,it can sometimes be cheaper), no going to a post office, courier service just picks up and drops off.

Anyway, getting back to the post: I usually ask for shipping price before I bid, if i don't get a response I don't bid, if they say they'll get back to me, then again, I don't bid (don't want the scenario wayjen had). If they ship via postal,then again, I don't bid (I had packages get lost through post, and even though they were insured, nothing came of it).

I really believe using fedex or DHL (you may know of some others) are better options. Easy, fast, with no hassle (and to me, not expensive at all).

P.s: I have someone in Cape Town I can send my goods to (but, i'd rather pay the +- R400 to get my goods to Windhoek, than R49, and wait untill my sister inlaw sends it to me)

There's the problem right there.

It would seem you can only bid on sellers items who deal with a courier service and know the rates so as can give it to you immediately.

mellowred

Ooopps ...

(MsPlod ... I need a {blushing} smiley)

mellowred

The problem with couriers is they are not much good if you live in one of the more remote regions. I cannot see DHL or Fedex rushing out to Napier to pick up a parcel from me to send to JHB. A courier to Cape Town from Hermanus used to cost a minimum of R100. Only then can you get in with one of the national couriers.

This is fine on expensive items, but not on general things.

wayjen

Just a thought.

If a buyer has a courier company they use on a regular basis would it not work if they bid on an item and then arrange the collection themselves from the buyer, I mean they paying for it themselves anyway?

mellowred

Good thinking Wayne. That makes sense.

(Did Jenny come up with that? :biggrin:)

wayjen
Good thinking Wayne. That makes sense.

(Did Jenny come up with that? :biggrin:)

Cuan, about that dislike button again.:bigsmile:

mellowred
Cuan, about that dislike button again.:bigsmile:

You've already been told you ain't getting it.

admin
Just a thought.

If a buyer has a courier company they use on a regular basis would it not work if they bid on an item and then arrange the collection themselves from the buyer, I mean they paying for it themselves anyway?

Don't think so Mandy, somewhere in that the seller needs to be mentioned. He came up with this on his own...:whistling::ninja:

wayjen

go get her Andries!!

mellowred
Don't think so Mandy, somewhere in that the seller needs to be mentioned. He came up with this on his own...:whistling::ninja:

Admin darhling, the seller in this case is a buyer, and he is a she .... shees who is speed reading tonight? :biggrin:

jaydon01

"There's the problem right there.

It would seem you can only bid on sellers items who deal with a courier service and know the rates so as can give it to you immediately."

That's not what I meant Wayjen. I meant that I do not bid on a sellers item untill they get back to me. I don't expect them to know the courier cost (especially considering that they don't deal with Nambian buyers a lot). What good will it do if i bid on an item (waitinf for the seller to get back to me), and when they get back to me, I back out because it's way more than I expected.

Anyway, Mellowred, you have a very valid point, I did not think of that. It makes sense that if they live in the "way out" areas, that that's why they don't use a courier service.

Thank you for clearing that up for me :)

jaydon01

Just want to add this quick: A seller gave me a reasonable shipping price, after bidding and winning the auctions, he pushed the shipping up by double the amount, and charges me the same "doubled up" amount for each of the additional 9 items. He is not replying to my mails what so ever, and I suspect a SNC is on it's way...

mellowred

@ Wayne ... Admin likes me so :sick: to you.

@ jaydon ... apologies for these people hijacking your thread with a load of nonsense :cool:. But it does seem you have got some solution to your issue. Best to get a courier to collect if the buyer agrees.

mellowred
Just want to add this quick: A seller gave me a reasonable shipping price, after bidding and winning the auctions, he pushed the shipping up by double the amount, and charges me the same "doubled up" amount for each of the additional 9 items. He is not replying to my mails what so ever, and I suspect a SNC is on it's way...

That is just not on Jaydon. BoB do not condone rip off shipping fees. You should inform them of this at hello@bidorbuy.co.za. Do you have proof of the original shipping price?