Sign in to follow this  
zerohour

Used to enjoy BOB

Little Miss Muffet

This forum does funny things--Post below

:biggrin:

Edited by geewhizz

Little Miss Muffet

Dont forget "China"(Porcelain) is called "China" because it was first produced in China

Fine bone China

StudMuffinsMissus

I've bought my fair share of "junk" on BoB...like that magic sink cleaner thingy. Stupid velcro came off 1st time I put it down the sink, needless to say contributing a bigger blockage Lol! Never have the heart to rate anything but positive, i mean c'mon what do you expect for R1 anyway! Oh and also the tanzanite ring that turned white...s'posed to be my engagement ring but took that as a bad omen & got cold feet :sowsuser:.

Pickle Bearies

I understand this persons concern. I am also tired of having to wade through stacks of "trash" ie... I only buy from SA sellers at the moment ... If I search for a eg...a dress I get thrown with stacks of dresses available from China, (or other places...) I think it is time for that little sorting button to come which bob previously said would be available at the end of August. To be able to browse from SA only! Please BOB!!! There are certain categories I no longer browse due to this problem and I don't think I am alone!

HDMI

Made in china not so good my china....

MADE IN CHINA IS NOT ALWAYS SO GOOD,JUST CHECK BELOW:

Who manufactures all the illegal products such as replicas? Yep,check below how well they replicated the beats by dre headphones..Do you have a geniune pair?

We also have a local funny chines:

Interesting fact: Did you know that even the most sought after Apple Ipad is manufactured in China??

Chinatowns is taking over many suburbs in S.A.

Guess what president Zuma's discussions with the Chinese contained?? We can only guess...

Anyway

Don't worry about all the bad things,since we're proudly South African

mellowred

It goes deeper than just being potential "junk" from China. We sit with 100 of thousands of unemployed. Surely someone in SA can get off their bum and implement a plan where workshops with HIGH productivity and minimal wastage (materials and man hours) are set-up so that they can compete with the cheap China junk.

qball
It goes deeper than just being potential "junk" from China. We sit with 100 of thousands of unemployed. Surely someone in SA can get off their bum and implement a plan where workshops with HIGH productivity and minimal wastage (materials and man hours) are set-up so that they can compete with the cheap China junk.

With our trade unions in action... think again... labour in this country is expensive compared to other countries due to the strong trade union influence, this in turn affects our ability to compete on labour costs... this opens the door to cheaper imports due to the demand by the public...

lilythepink

It's the Unions which insist on sky-high wages (as opposed to having all their members productive) that is the drawback in SA. Just my 10 cents worth ...

asiv

While a lot of goods are made in china was observed by another member here, it needs clarity.

The suppliers who value their reputations when buying goods from china also invest some funds into taking on the services of a quality control inspection team of foreign origin but who are also based in china. These companies are dedicated to monitoring the production of their orders from the point of manufacture to delivery.

How many of the chinese sellers are reputable to our knowledge? None! We dont even know them and their scruples. Do we have any form of protection as buyers on this site? None I believe. How sad.

MsPlod
With our trade unions in action... think again... labour in this country is expensive compared to other countries due to the strong trade union influence, this in turn affects our ability to compete on labour costs... this opens the door to cheaper imports due to the demand by the public...

It's the Unions which insist on sky-high wages (as opposed to having all their members productive) that is the drawback in SA. Just my 10 cents worth ...

I have to agree with Mellowred here - there are many ways to "get around" the unions. Think of Dept of Public Works programmes such as "Working for Water" and "Working for Wetlands", etc. where workers are given basic skills, and are paid a basic wage which is in keeping with the "minimum wages" stipulated by the Labour Act - but is not unionised. If an NGO or a Section 21 company (or a similar benefactor/funder) wanted to - something such as this could readily be undertaken as part of a poverty relief programme/intervention. There are many ways in which the dti and the various government departments could work together to support such a "local is really lekker" clothing and textiles industry. The trick is to get it off the ground...

moppies
I have to agree with Mellowred here - there are many ways to "get around" the unions. Think of Dept of Public Works programmes such as "Working for Water" and "Working for Wetlands", etc. where workers are given basic skills, and are paid a basic wage which is in keeping with the "minimum wages" stipulated by the Labour Act - but is not unionised. If an NGO or a Section 21 company (or a similar benefactor/funder) wanted to - something such as this could readily be undertaken as part of a poverty relief programme/intervention. There are many ways in which the dti and the various government departments could work together to support such a "local is really lekker" clothing and textiles industry. The trick is to get it off the ground...

I agree - "The trick is to get off the ground"

BUT

I need to add: "and to get it sustainable".

I saw so many projects initiated and funded by a specific government department Funds were made available to buy the necessary equipment to start the project and all goes well for a while (if there is supervision by the specific department). Let go of the supervision, then the project funds are "borrowed" by the project leader - he / she disappears. Equipment is abandoned / "borrowed" / sold by the other members of the project to get an income. Fencing is taken down to fence their homes ...........

Must I go on? This is reality. Our communities does not really want to get self-sustained. It is easier to rely on government for a social grant.

MsPlod
BUT

I need to add: "and to get it sustainable".

Wise words speaking from experience Moppies!

There are however a number of programmes which HAVE been successfully implemented and are sustainable. Monitoring and evaluation techniques and methodologies have changed rather a lot during the past decades and we are moving into an era where less is dependent on whether the funder is happy and more emphasis is placed on long term sustainability based on the classic triple-bottom line - social, economical and environmental sustainability.

It IS possible, despite a high number of examples of ill-constituted, ill-advised and misguided attempts by various spheres and sectors of government and civil society.

zerohour

More Chinese junk

:worried:

Edited by zerohour

qball

Please report suspected counterfeit products to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za - Counterfeit products are not permitted to be sold. Unfortunately it is sometimes difficult to determine this by just looking at the listing, price is one indicator but not always an accurate measure of this, and we have over 800 000 products listed daily - it is challenging to monitor them all, that is why we also rely on our active and helpful community members to assist us in this endeavour! We try to be pro-active with regards to counterfeit products, far more than any other website locally and this is taken seriously. We do not believe this to be a major problem, considering the number of items listed on our site, but will act against any user who does sell counterfeit products.

MiemsJewels
:worried: I decided as summer is coming that i need a nice new pair of sunglasses, so i search for rayban and what do i find? new rayban from china for R250, now i am no fool and know that new rayban cost a bit more than R250!! i thought fake items were not allowed? seems to be a proliferation lately on BOB, i have seen fake rolex, fake Tiffany jewelry, fake batteries, fake software, fake branded clothing, fake art, fake designer perfumes........ fake just about everything, is it getting out of hand ?

Sjoe!! El Campanero....And I was just on my way to fake off......so I decided......I'll stay!! LOL

booksallsizes
Oh and also the tanzanite ring that turned white...s'posed to be my engagement ring but took that as a bad omen & got cold feet :sowsuser:.

He he he - I broke the stone in my engagement ring four years ago and we're still not married... It obviously is a sign :cheesy:

(and it wasn't bought from BoB or China - although knowing my other half, I cannot be too sure... :rolleyes:)

zerohour

Oh well i suppose it makes it all a bit more interesting :sad:

staccato

I always thought Chinese junk was a boat with a sail...lol

zerohour

Chinese junk crap

interesting link! China Crap Watch

Edited by zerohour

mellowred

I'm with you 100% against these cheap crap products, El Campero. Not only do they make use of slave labour, they endanger everyone who intentionally or worse, unintentionally, support them.

It is so frustrating and infuriating to see good SA cash flowing away into the land of crap. I for one do not support China crap. As poor as I am I always look for SA products in the supermarkets. Pay a bit more sometimes, but at least I know someone in SA is benefiting a bit from my purchase.

hildat

Wayjin, tomorrow CHINA MIGHT BUY THE ENTIRE US.

I strongly have to disagree with sunstone, everything from china is defenitely NOT junk.

Most of my items used in my jewelery is defenitely from china.......NOT JUNK!!

hildat
Dont get the thread starter wrong - there are lots of items sold on Bidorbuy of VERY bad quality and hence generalized as "Chinese junk".

I have made the mistake multiple times of buying such items.

I am very fond of your jewelry and think they are all stunning........but sadly have to inform you that buying charms and pendants myself, guess where your jewelery comes from (might be handmade, but the charms, pendant ect. PROUDLY CHINESE)...:biggrin: