Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

Did anyone watch Carte Blanche last night?

Pierre_Henri

They had a brilliant feature on ZAR and Boer War memorabilia where members of the public could bring in items for valuation by a team of experts.

But as usual, some mistakes were made – the expert on coins valued an ex mount Veld Pond at R2000 to R3000 (true value would be at least 10 times that) while a MS62 Veld Pond brought in by a lady from the SA Mint (nogal - wonder where it came from?) was valued at a preposterous R700 000 to R800 000. I would value this coin at R275 000 at the most – half to a third of the value placed on it by that of the experts.

But still an excellent program it was – nice to see M-Net doing something positive for our collecting community.

Pierre

geejay50

Thanks Pierre,

I dont think that so called expert knew much about coin prices , particularly the Veldpond. It was particularly important to highlight the forgotten black involvement in the Anglo Boer War who were caught up on both sides.

All South Africans were involved in this Total War to some extent. It is thus very much part of everybody's Heritage.

President Steyn was a powerful figure in the continuation of that war after 1900 eventhough desperate. He was also extremely ill at the time (possible Guillain-Barre Syndrome) and I believe had to be tied to his horse at times. Nevertheless he continued to ride with his commando and served for years after the war as a stabilising influence between the various Boer leaders (Smuts, Botha , Herzog, Botha and de Wet ).

He will always be regarded with great love as a dignified Father figure for the traumatised people during and after the Anglo Boer War.

There is a beautiful copper medal commemorating him. It weighs 90grams and measures 60mm indiameter. I have this along with a book written about him 'Vader van sy Volk' - Johannes Meintjies.The reverse shows a lion wounded by an arrow in the chest with the inscription in Dutch- 'Verwond maar niet verwonnen' wounded but not conquered.

Geejay

58f5a7299c3a6_1900MedalPresidentSteynRev.jpg.5fc3fbf6622a60d525fc44d9aa3c0983.jpg

58f5a72996d08_1900MedalPresidentSteynObv.jpg.3fdae3f0cca9f4062d777ea4d25e12b4.jpg

qball

It was not the SA Mint, SA Gold Coin Exchange I think?

geejay50

Hi Cuan,

Yes it was the SA Gold Coin Exchange

Geejay

ATOMICSQUIRREL

Yeah i laughed at them they were quite funny, they were also arguing about the prices on some of the stuff.

The 1898 1pond Single 9 is prob SA's most valuable coin R15000 000.00

Veld pond is worth around R200 K (not graded)

dstorm

Hello all

Regarding Cuan's post.

Was the programme not perhaps "Sunshine Journalism"?

Keep well and regards

Jacques

geejay50

Hi,

Overseas like in the UK, they have a lot of TV programmes that look at what is found in ordinary people's homes in the way of Antiques, Coins and Medals and their value. We have too little of that here and are the poorer for it as a people. There is so much History lying in peoples homes that never gets shared. I wish we could have a steady slot on TV that went around the country calling for such items and have some real experts give their opinion as to not merely value but especially the History behind the item.Who knows what can come out of such effort?

Geejay