Sign in to follow this  
artbyjoCT

ORIGINAL ART: POSTAGE & PACKAGING, INSURANCE COST, DELIVERY and PRESENTATION

artbyjoCT    10
artbyjoCT

Hi Guys!

Here I am as a brand new seller (don't even know what the abbreviation for that is...:hm:) , but although scared in cuber space, I am brave and adamant to give it my best go. I have read some of the Q&A's, but would like to pose some of my most pressing ones - and draw from your collective experience as a guide, if I may?

Packaging: I have used bubble wrap and carton before. It worked very well, although due to the ultimate size/weight, I found the insurance to be HUGE, especially works shipped overseas. It makes sense that rolling a canvas and posting in a tube might be the more sensible way of doing, but more often than not my works are framed AND the buyer seems to want the framed article. Would removing the frame make that much difference in the shipping costs? Do I even suggest this to a prospective buyer? :wondering:

Distributing Inland: How does S.A.P.O. compare to Courier service? How does one know which is a trustworthy courier service for art?

Insurance: How do you arrive at a realistic figure, i.e. to have 'enough' insurance without making the whole deal 'blown-out-of-all-pockets'?

Awaiting your answers, I think I might begin by uploading a couple of lighter/smaller/unframed works... Hold thumbs.

Edited by artbyjoCT

Wild Olive Art    11
Wild Olive Art

Hi Jo

Welcome to Bidorbuy !

From a personal point of view , it is seldom worth selling large framed original art on Bidorbuy. As it is , many art sellers here complain that they do not get what the art is worth on auctions and packaging large paintings that could be fragile requires a lot of time and effort . I think you have to weigh up whether the price you get for the art is worth all the trouble of packaging. Using the tubes is an easy and safe method of shipping art.

If you do decide to sell the larger framed paintings , courier is definitely the safer option . The SAPO tend to disregard the FRAGILE signs and throw the packages around resulting in broken frames and torn canvas.

I have used the SAPO for medium size paintings on stretched canvas but I have used sheets of polystyrene as well as bubble wrap to protect them ( quite a mission)

As for shipping overseas - the frames ( or even stretched canvas) constitute a huge problem in that they need to be fumigated before they can be sent overseas . This is expensive and can damage the frames and artwork if not done by someone who knows exactly what they are doing.

The SAPO is cheaper than a courier but as I have said , not suitable to the larger works of art.

Insurance You cannot offer your own insurance unless you are an insurance company , so any insurance has to be taken out with the courier or with the SAPO .

You would have to get a quote from the courier company per piece of art and it would be calculated according to the value of the work. You cannot quote an insurance figure without the quote from the courier.

The SAPO charge 2% of the item value for insurance if sent ordinary mail and 3% of the item value if sent Speed Services.

I have used Internet Express very successfully for years to courier my art - you can calculate the whole cost of it online including insurance . Here is the link - I hope this helps ! http://com1.internetexpress.co.za/

All the best

Bridgette

artbyjoCT    10
artbyjoCT

Thank you SO SO much, Bridgette! I find the information of immense value and will most certainly follow your suggestions where possible. (As a matter of fact, I was SO relieved at a fellow artist's quick response, I wanted to 'run over to you with a tea tray and cupcakes', when I remembered there is some real distance between us... you up there and me being down here at the southern tip of RSA soil.):cheesy:

With baby steps but slightly firmer wings I'm taking off today. "What you lose on the swings, you win on the merry-go-rounds", not so? Much obliged, Jo

mellowred    10
mellowred

You can run a cup of tea over to me Jo. I'm in Napier so we must be neighbours. :cheesy:

Wild Olive Art    11
Wild Olive Art

My pleasure Jo ! I hope you have lots of success here on BOB - Don't get disheartened if some days things are a bit slow , It can be a bit of a roller coaster ride !

I will take a rain check on the tea and cupcakes - I will be moving to CT in the new year !:cheesy:

If you need any more input you are welcome to send me a private message , I will try help where I can !