Sign in to follow this  
brad112

Blocking buyers

brad112    10
brad112

Hi all,

Just a quick question, is there a way to block buyers before they bid on your items? The reason why I am asking is often you get buyers bidding who have a string of negative ratings for SNC, you can delete the bid on that specific auction but they are back the following week trying again :hm: obviously they may manage to win the bid, then you are faced with a possible SNC or even worse, a negative rating for deleting their bid on a previous auction.

Thanks,

Brad

www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/1433553/brad112

Pickle Bearies    10
Pickle Bearies

Hi, I have the same question but apparently you can only block a buyer who has previously purchased from you. I find this a pity as some times when I see a buyer with a string of negatives buys my stuff my heart plummets as I know I will have to send out stacks of emails and then wait for some time before filing an SNC. I would like to have the ability to block troublesome buyers before they buy...such as when I see fellow sellers complain about them etc... I think this would possibly also make people more careful as the more negatives one receives the more one will be blocked from buying.

brad112    10
brad112

I agree with you skitty, if this feature is not available please could Bid or Buy implement it :)

Vegar    10
Vegar

I have a question about this.

If a bid has been deleted from an auction can that bidder rebid on the same auction?

When you delete a bid you are asked to give a reason and I have answered that their ratings are too low or that I have had bad experience with the buyer in the past.

When a bid is deleted does the bidder get an e-mail explaining what just happened?

brad112    10
brad112

As far as I know the bidder can not longer bid on that specific auction, not sure if they get an e mail though. They can however bid or buy any other one of your items.

qball    11
qball

Due to abuse from sellers we will not be implementing this facility. You can report the bidder to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za, requesting us to contact the bidder to tell them to stop bidding or we can take other steps. The bidder is alerted via email that the bid has been deleted and the reason.

dominiquesonline    10
dominiquesonline

"Abuse from sellers"... ROFL. Yeeeees, as a seller I just love blocking potential buyers! Such a pity I can't do it to anyone who might just buy from me. :-P

Vegar    10
Vegar

I only block "potential" buyers who are proven abusers.

Having said that, a close friend of mine on BoB (vintage collectables) just experienced a 'personality change' in one of his blocked (abusive) buyers. The "abuser" opened a new account in his wife's name and successfully made a purchase - meaning that he managed to pay for the items he bid on!

Some "abusers" are just inexperienced and may reform :angel:

As for abusive sellers ... I have just opened an account in my husband's name which I am going to use solely for buying on BoB. I have experienced horrific verbal abuse, lying, overcharging for shipping, bad packaging and general rude attitudes ... AND I AM TOO EFFING SCARED OF REVENGE RATING TO GIVE HONEST FEEDBACK.

No more! hubby can take it :wink:

Pickle Bearies    10
Pickle Bearies

Had a good laugh! The idea of possibly abusing the ability to block buyers is just crazy!! I love sales, the more the better!! Am I mistaken that this sentiment is shared by fellow sellers ?! The only "buyers" who are not welcome are ....THOSE WHO DON"T PAY...because they are not "buyers " they are time wasters and need to be blocked.

kyle2    10
kyle2

eBay has the facility to block anyone, regardless if they've bought from you or not. There is a bad buyers list which is circulated and anyone can add all of those names to their bad buyers list. I use it and have had little or no problem on that auction platform. I would rather lose a sale to a suspected problem maker than take a chance and have weeks of endless hassle.

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE
Had a good laugh! The idea of possibly abusing the ability to block buyers is just crazy!! I love sales, the more the better!! Am I mistaken that this sentiment is shared by fellow sellers ?! The only "buyers" who are not welcome are ....THOSE WHO DON"T PAY...because they are not "buyers " they are time wasters and need to be blocked.

HI ALL

The facility was available a first to block any buyer but the abuse mentioned was that the sellers were blocking the new buyers who did not have any ratings and this was considered unfair and abusive.A new buyer must be allowed to buy and prove he can be a positive buyer on the platform.I have many new buyers each week and probably 2 in a hundred are a problem with the rest being perfect.Imagine if every seller blocked every new buyer??how would we grow our customer base.Every new potential buyer would be p@#$#d off and we would never see them again and we all need new customers to be able to sell and grow.Makes sense to me!!

NEIL

Pickle Bearies    10
Pickle Bearies

I would never block a new buyer because he was new... That is ridiculous... As mentioned above the only buyers I would block are those proven to be non payers.

kyle2    10
kyle2
I would never block a new buyer because he was new... That is ridiculous... As mentioned above the only buyers I would block are those proven to be non payers.

Hence the need for a Bad buyers list, BoB has a thread which caters for this, but we can't implement that information effectively.

voldermort    10
voldermort

As said above the blocking facility was badly abused, BoB even mentioned at the time that there was one seller who was blocking over 500 buyers (if memory serves me correctly) therefore it is a good thing that you now cannot block a buyer unless he has bought from you and not paid. That all said though, even though a buyer may have a lot of negatives it does not necessarily mean that he will not pay for an item he is bidding on.

One of my earliest sales was to a buyer with less than 50% positives who bid on an item, when the item closed with him being the winning bidder he was by that time blacklisted AND I kid you not, he contacted BoB to request my details and was one of the prompest payers I have yet encountered.

Remember every single buyer and seller as well deserves a reasonable chance.