Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DestinysAngels

!warning: Highly toxic to dogs and cats!

Recommended Posts

DestinysAngels    10
DestinysAngels

This product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats - Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those who do. The doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. The dogs loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled ...good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Halfway through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly!

 

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's web site. Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it." *Snopes site gives the following information: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp *

 

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other garden supply stores contains a lethal ingredient called ' Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks!

 

Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine!

 

If your animal starts showing signs of distress, contact your veteranarian immediately!

 

 

301167_2137517750708_1029046197_31991088_585774275_s.jpg

Edited by DestinysAngels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mellowred    10
mellowred

Thanks for the warning DA. Surely this product should never have reached the shelves! It's attractive to dogs and lethal. Truly disgusting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Thanks DA!! Hope the product is removed from the shelves pronto!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I appreciate being forewarned and forearmed. I hope this has been reported to the National Council of SPCAs for follow-up with their usual intrepid fearlessness!

 

Thanks DA for being so quick to let us know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×