Sign in to follow this  
Vegar

Buckles for leather straps

Vegar    10
Vegar

I am searching for buckles used for leather straps for saddles. The strap is 4cm (1 1/2") wide. It is a simple pin buckle either with a rolling edge or without. I need 5

Here is an example of what I am looking for:

BLACKSMITH TUBULAR RIVET HARNESS SADDLE BUCKLE HORSE | eBay

Please help as I cant find anything like it in Cape Town :sad:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Have you tried the saddlery shops around CT? I bought some of these buckles about 14 years ago from a saddlery shop in Port Elizabeth.

I may have a few left and will take a look and PM you if I find them.

Vegar    10
Vegar

I have tried everywhere. One can buy them with the girdle or bridle in equestrian shops which is not viable for me since I cant use horse stuff. I have been to Woodheads who don't have the size, only narrow ones which do not fit my straps.

Ordering from them is a possibility - if no one on BoB has any then I can just as well order them directly myself.

If you find any lying around that would be brilliant!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I've had a quick look around and can't find them where I thought they might be. Dear, dear.

If they turn up, I will contact you but this is almost like looking for a needle in a haystack. Sorry about that.

BeadsandBaubles    10
BeadsandBaubles

Hi

I may have some of those left from my farming days. I am returning to Joburg on the 1st October and will see if I can locate them. Is it the buckle itself.

Also have you tried the local Agrilek, or other farm suppliers? OTK, ATK - I don't know what its called in the Cape Region? Always bought my equestrian goodies through them.

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

There is a shop in North End, PE that sells all sorts of goodies and I've seen a variety of buckles there - but I don't know their name off-hand. It is a tiny "back street" place just off Main Street (near Mount Road) behind the old Trustbank and Giddy's buildings. If I'm in the area I'll go take a peek for you (no promises though as it is not a nice part of town to go on my own!).

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

That's the very place I was thinking of, where I bought my buckles years ago. I, too, am trying to remember the shop's name!

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

Isn't it PE Saddlery? Or was that in the main road?

Vegar, I'll also look - have a lot of tack lying around but I fear that I did get rid of anything superfluous and/or broken (could have taken the buckles off the broken stuff and sent them to you...) some time back. But my memory seems to be worsening so maybe I didn't - I'll take a look.

Vegar    10
Vegar

Thanks to all for the efforts :-) (no normal smilie available?)

Please keep looking - can't get buckles anywhere. I suspect that the manufacturers of equestrian harnesses have monopolized the equipment for making them ... who says I am paranoid ... :wink:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I am still looking, vegar! I know I have some somewhere.