Sign in to follow this  
jphotography

Windows 7 64bit

jphotography

I bought a new desktop not long ago, but with my photoshop and other programs I keep on getting a memory error, although I have 8gb of RAM my windows program is only a 32bit program, now someone told me for me to be able to use the whole 8gb of RAM I must get the 64bit windows, but I only need to upgrade. I do not want to format my pc as I have downloaded most of my programs and to re download all is going to be a lot of gb's and time which I don't have.

Does anyone know how to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit?

I am clueless when it comes to pc stuff

admin
I bought a new desktop not long ago, but with my photoshop and other programs I keep on getting a memory error, although I have 8gb of RAM my windows program is only a 32bit program, now someone told me for me to be able to use the whole 8gb of RAM I must get the 64bit windows, but I only need to upgrade. I do not want to format my pc as I have downloaded most of my programs and to re download all is going to be a lot of gb's and time which I don't have.

Does anyone know how to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit?

I am clueless when it comes to pc stuff

Hi jphotography,

As far as i know you can not perform an upgrade from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit one. You will have to backup your pc and do a clean install then reinstall your data.

From XP to Win 7 etc. but not on the same OS.

Edited by admin
Added from XP...

Lukeness

You can't upgrade to 64 bit, you'll have to do a fresh installation. With 32 bits you can only use 4 gigs.

jphotography

If I back up I will still need to upload photoshop from the Adobe website where I bought it, as well as my other programs I bought online? I don't have the discs of the programs only the product keys which I bought online?