Sign in to follow this  
Mustlovebooks

What sells?

Mustlovebooks

When you are working your butt off, but your salary is more commission based, tough months are hard. Some months our income is okay. But then you get months where your payslip is a shocker and you have no idea how you are going to get through the month and then by this time of the month, you are as tense as a guitar string.

I don't think we are the only ones out there.

Yes, you trade on BidorBuy and it helps so much, besides the fact that you enjoy it so much, but the items I sell is hardly enough to pay for kids' school fees, school camps etc.

Do you find selling lots of low value items worth it or is it better to sell a lot less items for more money?

Edited by Mustlovebooks

wayjen

I will not bore anyone with my story but lets just say BoB was supposed to be the savings money but is now the life support money. I can relate to your post 100% and I would have a guess and say some others might too as they are in a similar boat.

Basically anything sells and there is a market for everything. You do not have to be an expert in anything but if you are and expert in something then sell yourself. Whether you sell thousands of R1.00 items or 100 of R1000.00 items you have to treat both the same way and be honest in your deals. How you approach or handle yourself and those around you and the buyers that come looking, will be the answer to your future on BoB or anywhere else.

Remember, this is hard work and you need to put in the time to reap the rewards and even on those days/weeks that nothing is happening for you, do not sit there and refresh your screen but go out and try a different approach and list more items or fiddle around with pictures or prices JUST DON'T GIVE UP.

There have been times where I sit here depressed because I am not able to give my family what I used to for the last 10 years and things look bleak but I try another approach and sometimes it works and when one day there was no money in the account the very next day there is a few cents to pay a bill or 2.

Do not be intimidated by people who brag about their accomplishments as it will not do you any good just be humble and work hard.

Good Luck and I hope I have not bored you to death with my speech.

voldermort

I second every word that Wayne said. It is so important to remember when selling on BoB that if you are planning on making it your "full time" job then it needs to be treated exactly the same as any full time job. You need to put in so many hours per day, you need to list so many items per week etc etc, obviously if you are only selling on BoB as a hobby you can put 1 item or 10 items per month & it doesnt really matter but if you are serious about your selling then you would want to list as many items as you can.

As Wayne said, there is no item that is not worth something to somebody, everything does sell.Have a look at any category on BoB, anything can & will sell but sometimes patience is required.

Again to echo Wayne's words, don't worry about what other people are selling or how much they are selling, concentrate on your own selling (in any event if you are doing BoB as a real 9 - 5 job you probably wouldn't have the time to care much about other sellers items)

I sincerely believe that the more you have listed the more you will sell, remember if you were selling in a "real" store you definitely would not only have 50 items on your shelf, would you? In fact I think that between Wayne & I we now own a Hypermarket :awesome:

It is very hard work, searching for items, taking photos, listing items, relisting items etc etc but if you are dedicated it is definitely worth the reward & the most important thing to remember is that happy customers become regular customers.

Good Luck & just keep on listing

bookdealers

I work for a second hand and remainder book company and we started selling our wares on BoB this year just as 'something on the side' although recently we have found that the more we list the more we sell, so I've been put on the task of creating more listings and there is no doubt about it we do sell more, the more we list and that it is also good to have a mix of high value and low value goods.

Since we are just starting out this venture we have yet to see if we can afford a salary just based on Bob although even from the little experience that I have I can concur with both Voldemort and Wayjen, that the more time and effort you put into your listings, descriptions and order processing the better the results will be.

Hang in there, Buy low sell low, the more you list the better and Good luck!

wayjen

Correct. The more you list the better your chances of exposure. I know people who have listed 1 item and because it did not sell they are no longer on BoB. I also know people with 30+ items who sold 1 or 2 items and called it a day but they should have carried on and listed other items to draw attention to themselves. This is easier said then done when you are in a pickle and you need money now BUT you never know what will happen. Some sellers do this as a past time/hobby so listing one item and it sits there for 10 years is not a hassle for them cause they have businesses elsewhere that bring in the money.

All I can say is list everything and don't worry if someone thinks it's junk because that item might be just the item to set you off on the right track, I know cause it happens in my house time and time again.

Mustlovebooks

Thanks you guys. I have looked at the top-sellers and most of them have lots of items listed.

wayjen
Thanks you guys. I have looked at the top-sellers and most of them have lots of items listed.

So?

Don't worry about that list, let them worry about you knocking them off that top list.