Sign in to follow this  
spacefinder

Times History of the War in South Africa

spacefinder    10
spacefinder

Isn't it dreadful when you find a book or set of books you just know people are looking for, only to discover they have been horribly neglected at floor level in a damp garage?

I've just come across a set like that, six volumes of the Times History of the War in South Africa, published between 1902 and 1909. How something like that can be allowed to get into its current condition is incomprehensible to me.

However, I'm sure someone will want them. All the pages are there, even if , in one volume, they have been enthusiatically eaten by a large beetle! There are plenty of fold out maps of the battles, and it must be the most comprehensive account of the Boer War ever. Full of photogravure, the extroadinary thing is that in spite of its appearance, the books look to be all there, with NO foxing.

I've no idea how to price this, so I've decided it must find its own level on a bidorbuy auction. So, watch my listings on the Wednesday, September 28, 2011 bidorbuy Crazy Wednesday Auction.

That's right - it starts at R1!

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello spacefinder

Should be interesting.

It is always interesting to read about the contemporary British opinions.

I once had a similar set (The Sphere) bound in 8 volumes, weighing many, many kilogrammes.

This newspaper was published during the Anglo Boer War and it had photos of railway bridges that the Boers blew up in (the by then occupied) Free State. These photos had one caption: See how the Boers blew up OUR bridges.

So I will be looking forward to your listing.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

voldermort    10
voldermort

If memory serves me this set should have 7 volumes?

Unfortunately a lot of the older material does tend to get damaged....usually housemoving, storage etc etc.

Perhaps you may find a buyer just looking for one certain volume.....hopefully not the damaged one though.

spacefinder    10
spacefinder

Thanks, Jacques, Yes, the arrogance of the British Imperialists was astonishing!. I recently read Diamonds, Gold and War - The Making of South Africa by Martin Meredith. What a read - and if one associates Rhodes's excursions into what is now Zimbabwe, and consider's the impact this had on, say, Robert Mugabe's grandfather, his rationale perhaps becomes clearer?

Thank you, Voldermort. You're quite right, volume seven, the index, is missing.