Sign in to follow this  
kimbo11

R1 Coins

kimbo11

Hi.

Like i stated in my other post i am a newbi in the coin world. Can someone please explain to me, tagged ear R1, pregnant springbok?, and what else do you get.

Thank you

PS. Sorry for all the questions but i believe the best way of learning is to ask people that know the field.

kyle2

I Collect some of these coins, you might want to look at the 1969 'Donges' coin and the 1974 mint anniversary coin, the 69 coin in proof is very very rare for the English version (Afrikaans is available in proof), the mint actually denies having minted it in proof, I have actually seen one slabbed and graded as proof.

The 74 coin is the most beautiful of them all in my opinion, I have several proofs of this one, there are many other R1 coins which celebrate different themes over the years.

Hope this helps, happy hunting.:cheesy:

EishGK

Hi Kimbo

Getting your hands on a copy of Herns Coin Catalougue will give a very good idea of the different varieties of coins minted. I have an an almost complete R1 collection from 1965 to date and you will find that some of the pieces are indeed a collectors treasure.

Stantiques

Hi There

I would like some information with regards to proof coins that are graded as Proof or Proof like but according to the Herns handbook no proof coins where graded.

Eg

I have two silver R1 1969 E and 1969 A that have been graded as PL by NGC.

According to the Herns handbook a proof like set of the English and Afrikaans 1969 silver R1s is worth R22000.

But in the same breath the handbook says that no proof coins have been minted.

What is the situation regarding these coins.

I have also checked the NGC website a there are a few silver R1s that have been graded as proof.

Thanks

Stanton

kyle2

The '69 English is the anomally here, apparently none were issued in proof sets, the only way you could get a proof in those days. There were 2 types of sets, if I am correct, one was afrikaans, the other was a mix of alternating afrikaans and English starting with the R1 coin as Afrikaans, the R.50 cent being English, the R0.20c being afrikaans and so on.

This being said, I have a perfect proof in afrikaans, and a couple of English R1's as well which are not proof but possibly like proofs or circulation coins.

I have seen a graded proof English R1, so they were made, but probably did not appear in sets or did so by accident?

Pierre_Henri
I Collect some of these coins, you might want to look at the 1969 'Donges' coin and the 1974 mint anniversary coin, the 69 coin in proof is very very rare for the English version (Afrikaans is available in proof), the mint actually denies having minted it in proof, I have actually seen one slabbed and graded as proof.

Hope this helps, happy hunting.:cheesy:

Sorry Kyle I missed this - see here please ...

http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/coins-notes-numismatist/15185-opinions-please.html