Sign in to follow this  
Craig

Canon EOS 600D vs Nikon D5100

RISadler    10
RISadler

In my opinion neither is a "good buy" for the DSLR beginner.

My advice would be start with the Canon EOS 1100D (body only) at R3900 and the Canon EF 35mm f/2 lens at R2650. This works out about the same as the EOS 600D with EF 18-55mm IS kit lens.

The 35mm f/2 is a lot better and versatile lens than the mediocre at best 18-55mm kit jobbie. Remember, this is for the "photographer" wanting more than what her/his point-and-shoot offers and the big draw of a DSLR is the use of primes and better lenses. (As an aside, the lens on my Canon PowerShot A620 is better than any of the current and past kit lenses.)

Now the aspiring photographer, in my opinion, should start saving up for her/his first L-lens, namely the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM. This lens opens up the doorway to both nature and portrait photography at a decent R6500.

Once this point is reached, the photographer can either replace the EOS 1100D with something like the EOS 60D or even the EOS 5DII, wallet permitting, or invest in a second L-lens - probably the EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM - or another prime, like the EF 24mm f/2.8 lens.

Why not Nikon? Because the entry-level camera from Nikon is nearly twice as much as that from Canon. And Nikon doesn't have an equivalent to the 70-200mm f/4 L lens.