Sign in to follow this  
MagicMan0027

No bargains any more

MagicMan0027    10
MagicMan0027

I do not know if its just me but lately I see some used dslr camera lenses going for the same price as a new one in the store and sometimes even for more than the price of a new lens. I'm shopping around for a lens and have noticed this lately.

Craig    10
Craig

I think we're seeing very good pricing with new content form some of the sellers on bidorbuy.

The other day I was looking at a Canon 18-135mm EF-S f3.5-5.6 IS[h=1]

There were second hand lenses going for around R3,000, and then I saw new ones from R300 more.

Perhaps people are holding on to their gear? What lens were you looking for? Something in particular or just in general?[/h]

While we're chatting, how are you guys finding things? Are you making use of the filters for Second-had goods / Auctions / Buy Nows etc?

MagicMan0027    10
MagicMan0027
I think we're seeing very good pricing with new content form some of the sellers on bidorbuy.

The other day I was looking at a Canon 18-135mm EF-S f3.5-5.6 IS

There were second hand lenses going for around R3,000, and then I saw new ones from R300 more.

Perhaps people are holding on to their gear? What lens were you looking for? Something in particular or just in general?

While we're chatting, how are you guys finding things? Are you making use of the filters for Second-had goods / Auctions / Buy Nows etc?

I was just looking in general. It just seems that some people want to sell their used lenses for the same price (and even more) than you would pay for it new in a camera shop. I compared some of the prices of used lenses on BOB the last few weeks to new ones that were available from Orms and SA Camera and on BOB the used ones sometimes sold for more.

RISadler    10
RISadler

Photography => Filter = Secondhand + What's New.

I was just looking in general. It just seems that some people want to sell their used lenses for the same price (and even more) than you would pay for it new in a camera shop. I compared some of the prices of used lenses on BOB the last few weeks to new ones that were available from Orms and SA Camera and on BOB the used ones sometimes sold for more.

They want to upgrade to a better lens, so they need maximum for the old lens. Most people don't shop around, or get into a bidding frenzy, and then overpay.

Prices of secondhand good lenses, e.g. Canon L's, are usually priced a few thousand less than the new price. Different market, as the entry tag is also considerably more than with the cheap-o lenses. I recently grabbed a Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USM in pristine condition off BoB for the opening bid of R6500 ... the current equivalent (and less sharp) of this lens sells for R12500 new! Bargain.

StudMuffinsMissus    10
StudMuffinsMissus

I've been looking for a replacement for my Canon 30D that was stolen...haven't seen anything great either.

RISadler    10
RISadler

Snagged a pristine 30D the other day off BoB, maybe it was your camera? :nuts:

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Snagged a pristine 30D the other day off BoB, maybe it was your camera? :nuts:

Wicked RIS - but you made me chuckle...

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

I think that often it's a case of not knowing enough about the lenses, for both buyers and sellers.

Some sellers expect pro lens prices for their kit lenses simply because they don't know the difference and the oppostie can also be said for a lot of buyers.

RISadler    10
RISadler

Best one is always the chappie trying to sell an entry-level (film) SLR for the amount on his original sales slip!