Sign in to follow this  
amcintyre

Toy or adverising gimmick?

amcintyre

I was listing a few things for future Crazy Wednesdays and added this odd typewriter I picked up some time ago Other Antiques & Collectables - Typeatune musical typewriter for sale in East London (ID:45281964)

What I can't make out is whether it is a toy or an advertising gimmick. Does anyone have any info as to what it really is and when it was produced?

mellowred

I did a quick Google search and found a listing on another international site. Search for typeatune Electronic Corp of America.

Seems it was designed to teach people to type on a qwerty keyboard and was manufactured in the 1940s.

amcintyre
I did a quick Google search and found a listing on another international site. Search for typeatune Electronic Corp of America.

Seems it was designed to teach people to type on a qwerty keyboard and was manufactured in the 1940s.

I have just found an advert for it http://books.google.co.za/books?id=vuEDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=typatune&source=bl&ots=0B-nEXdUQ-&sig=Bd2fjaYeg25BAAsLsyuJ9CqASBM&hl=en&ei=uRhpTs7hFKv5mAW2gqkh&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CEcQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=typatune&f=false

mellowred

Oh thanks amcintyre! Now I know that I can browse 1940's magazines on the net I'll never get any work done :sad2:. :bigsmile:

Seriously though, glad you found the Typeatune. Can you include the link in your listing?

I'm totally fascinated by the fact that the 1946 edition of Popular Mechanics has been put up on the web. I simply love old magazines and can see I'm going to spend hours browsing all the old adverts.

amcintyre

Okay - I deleted the link and inserted the ad as a jpeg picture with the note that it isn't included as a print out.

mellowred

Hi Amcintyre. I hope you didn't think I was questioning the fact that you had included the link in your listing. I didn't know you had, and thought it would be an idea to do so (oi, this could become very confusing :wacko:).

But the listing looks good as is ... sometimes people are too lazy to go to a link.

I couldn't find a price on the one that was sold last year, so will be interested to see what price you fetch.

amcintyre
Hi Amcintyre. I hope you didn't think I was questioning the fact that you had included the link in your listing. I didn't know you had, and thought it would be an idea to do so (oi, this could become very confusing :wacko:).

But the listing looks good as is ... sometimes people are too lazy to go to a link.

I couldn't find a price on the one that was sold last year, so will be interested to see what price you fetch.

Thanks - I'm not sure if BOB allows external links. Anyway an image is better. Possible bidders may have become enticed away to read 1940 online magazines as you were :)