Sign in to follow this  
amcintyre

Sour grapes?

amcintyre

I sell and buy things on BOB. I collect valves, valve radios and valve related items. Yesterday on the Crazy Wednesday auction was a valve radio Appliances - What a find Phillips Valve Radio - working - needs antena. was sold for R501.00 on 7 Sep at 22:01 by scratchpatch in Port Elizabeth (ID:45265897) which I bid on and really wanted. However, I was not keen to go beyond R500 - which I stopped at. This morning I received a question from the winning bidder (of the Philips valve radio), on an item I was selling, stating "You are totally irresponsible in your manor of bidding. Chasing prices up without thinking about what you are doing. Why?".

How does one respond to this? Should I ignore it, from my "manor" of bidding? Should I suggest that the buyer contact BOB and question them regarding my bidding and state that he thinks that I shill bid on the item? Or am I just being over-sensitive?

Wild Olive Art

I would ignore it . This buyer had the choice not to bid any further if he thought the bidding was going too high ! What on earth does he expect on an auction site ? Thank nobody bids against him ?

It's seldom worth entering into debate with people like this - they are just antagonistic and appear to lack common sense . You know the saying " Never argue with a fool , they will drag you down to their level , then beat you with experience."[h=3]

[/h]

Little Miss Muffet
I sell and buy things on BOB. I collect valves, valve radios and valve related items. Yesterday on the Crazy Wednesday auction was a valve radio Appliances - What a find Phillips Valve Radio - working - needs antena. was sold for R501.00 on 7 Sep at 22:01 by scratchpatch in Port Elizabeth (ID:45265897) which I bid on and really wanted. However, I was not keen to go beyond R500 - which I stopped at. This morning I received a question from the winning bidder (of the Philips valve radio), on an item I was selling, stating "You are totally irresponsible in your manor of bidding. Chasing prices up without thinking about what you are doing. Why?".

How does one respond to this? Should I ignore it, from my "manor" of bidding? Should I suggest that the buyer contact BOB and question them regarding my bidding and state that he thinks that I shill bid on the item? Or am I just being over-sensitive?

I think the valve radio is definately worth R500. If he thinks you were irresponsible then he must be irresponsible too, considering, he won the bid and was prepared to pay the price.

I would tell him you badly want the radio and if he feels he paid too much to tell the seller to offer it to you .

kyle2

Thats almost the funniest thing I have heard lately.:biggrin:

Is this person for real? Do they know how an auction works? There is always one Jackass somewhere.

I would just ignore that person.

amcintyre
Thats almost the funniest thing I have heard lately.:biggrin:

Is this person for real? Do they know how an auction works? There is always one Jackass somewhere.

I would just ignore that person.

What's the funniest thing you've heard?

mellowred

All I can assume is that he prefers to up the bids @ R10 a time. He must have been really annoyed at the guy who jumped to R350. :cool:

kyle2
What's the funniest thing you've heard?

Forum rules prohibit me from posting it here...............:bigsmile:

lilythepink

I, too, would just let it go. People who ask silly questions must expect silly answers (or no answers at all!)

If you were prepared to pay R500 for the item, that is your prerogative and has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with another bidder!

booksallsizes

I also think it's extremely rude to castigate you (completely unfairly) via the Q&A on one of your items...

But, I agree with Lily, let it go - it is sour grapes. If he was unhappy then he shouldn't have put such a high maximum on the item. Very strange that he'd get so upset...

MiemsJewels

Definitley sour grapes amcintyre. He's got nothing to do with what you are willing to pay for the item!

brands online

Looks like this buyer forgot his "manors" when BObbing....:biggrin:

I like this sentiment

I would ignore it .

It's seldom worth entering into debate with people like this - they are just antagonistic and appear to lack common sense . You know the saying " Never argue with a fool , they will drag you down to their level , then beat you with experience."

TS Ron
I would ignore it . This buyer had the choice not to bid any further if he thought the bidding was going too high ! What on earth does he expect on an auction site ? Thank nobody bids against him ?

It's seldom worth entering into debate with people like this - they are just antagonistic and appear to lack common sense . You know the saying " Never argue with a fool , they will drag you down to their level , then beat you with experience."

Excellent advice Wild Olive Art. Although it is difficult to remain calm during a situation such as this!

amcintyre
Excellent advice Wild Olive Art. Although it is difficult to remain calm during a situation such as this!

I'm not going to reply to his/her comment via my Q&A - I was actually a bit amused when I got the "question". What was amusing was the image I had in my mind of residing on a "manor of bidding". It sounds like a British country estate :)

lilythepink
I'm not going to reply to his/her comment via my Q&A - I was actually a bit amused when I got the "question". What was amusing was the image I had in my mind of residing on a "manor of bidding". It sounds like a British country estate :)

Don't forget to delete the question (you can do this on your home page) or other buyers will see it and it really has nothing to do with the item you have listed!