Sign in to follow this  
republikein

How to remove green / slime from silver coins?

republikein    10
republikein

I have a few silver coins that was stored in pvc plastic sheets / mint packs, and which has started to become green / slimy green. Rust I suppose. Is there a way to "clean" such a silver coin without damaging the coin?

Rare NotesCoins    11
Rare NotesCoins

Use a product Called MS70. Not availible in SA, But do see a guy selling them on Bob in the coin accsesories section

Patricia_Gert    10
Patricia_Gert

Good day all,

The first rule of cleaning coins, DON'T! However, there are exceptions to this rule and this is one of them. Leaving the coins with this slimy green substance on the surface can damage the surface of the coin, so its best to remove this ASAP. The green substance on the coins are due to the chemicals in the PVC (mainly chloride) reacting to moisture and attacking the surface of the coin.

The best way I have find to clean coins with this green slime:

Make a weak ammonia solution (a common household cleaner mixed with water) and soak the coins overnight. Do NOT rub the coins as the scrubbing particles in the cleaner will damage the coins. If need be, the coins can be turned and soaked again in a clean solution - you will notice the solution turns greenish. The ammonia solution does not react with the silver so it will not remove toning, luster etc.

Remove the coins and rinse under very hot water until all deposits are removed. Finally rinse the coins with distilled water and leave them to dry or pat dry with soft tissue paper - again do not rub the coins as rubbing can damage the surface of the coin.

First practice with some low value coins and exercise extreme caution - more coins have been damaged due to improper cleaning than any other reason!

Kind Regards

Gert

Please note: Do this at your won risk, I do not take any responsibility in case the coins does get damaged.