Sign in to follow this  
Mustlovebooks

Do I need a VAT number to import

Mustlovebooks

Just a quick question please. I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. Do I need to be registered for VAT to import small quantities from overseas?

alloway65
Just a quick question please. I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. Do I need to be registered for VAT to import small quantities from overseas?

No I don't think so but you will be charged VAT on 110% of your import costs!

TS Ron

I just found out that if you do it throught the post office you fine but if you do it through Fedex with out an importers number you can be severly penalized! Fedex holds the parcel until it is cleared and until you have paid what is due to you.

Mustlovebooks

Thanks for the info. As I understand it, there is a lot of red tape with importing. I wonder how so many people import low quantities to resell without it costing an arm and a leg. Even if you import lightweight items, the shipping is astronomical. Or is there a better, easier and cheaper way?

TS Ron

Mustlovebooks you still pay duty at the post office when importing depending from what country you import yes there does seem to alot of red tape in importing I have just briefly looked at the forms recently.. I just can not understand why all the redtape as the gov wants to stimulate industry.