Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
visagiep2008

Diamond Estimated prices

2 posts in this topic

Recently I bought a 1.1ct Diamond from a well known Jeweler in PTA. I was impressed with the price and up until today still very happy.

The ring was designed and made for us.

I paid R38 000 for everything, labour gold pointers teh works.

Ok. I got a certificat efrom hom for replacement value of R75 000.

This still ain't my question, jyst some background taht I know what it costs and what they say replacement will be ain't the same.

If I want to bid on a diamond, say like this one that just closed http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/10028818/MADNESS_DIAMOND_Round_Brilliant_1_252_CT_No_Reserve.html

How do I as a noob know what it is worth? Was this R9300 a bargain? If it was, why did a R60 000 gem go for R9300?

I mean, say I pay the R9300, and after a month I walk into a Jewelery shop to try sell it, what will I get for it?

Is there like a formula to work this out, on how much to pay to not OVERpay for a stone?

Would appreciate the help. I'm looking for a diamond about 1.1ct, but don't want to cry after I paid the bucks over........

Thx in advance people!!

hello, I think this stone sold for about what it was worth(retail that is), the 60000 rand guide price should be ignored, if a retailer had it marked up at that price, then it would stay in the store for a very long time!!!

For the price mentioned you should be able to pick up a H colour in the VS2 - SI1 range and that's retail not wholesale.

Unless gradings are supported by genuine and recognised certificates, then they should be taken with a pinch of salt!!

regards Jeff.

"For the price mentioned you should be able to pick up a H colour in the VS2 - SI1 range and that's retail not wholesale."

I agree with Motherearth, seems like a poor quality stone to me, and anything but cheap at the price paid.......but I am a VVS1 & VVS2 man and only buy quality diamonds.