Sign in to follow this  
BeadsandBaubles

Animal Accents

BeadsandBaubles    10
BeadsandBaubles

It took me a year to get over losing "Kit", but eventually about 8 weeks ago I walked past a pet shop, and there she was - a tiny black bundle reaching out a paw to me through the bars of her cage and a look in her eyes that said 'if you take me now, I'll be yours". I have this thing about acquiring pets - the connection has to be absolutely split-second instant, love at first sight, and I have to have the feeling that the animal has felt it too. So ja, my 'Lickety-splick', real name Licorice, has become queen of our homes - both here and the house in Joey's as she travels with us in the back of the bakkie, toilet, bed, toys, food and water bowl included. She has become a seasoned traveller, when we stop at the rest stops she jumps off the back and follows us to where we sit and have a sarmie - charming all and sundry with her conversation, saying "hello'" back to all that greet her, without the slighest hint of confusion or panic that a kitten would usually show at the changes in location. No problem even with visiting friends or family's homes - follows us in calmly as if this is normal behaviour for a cat. Love her to bits!!! So another reason not to go to China with hubby, lol.

Plus, last weekend I rescued a mutt from a drunk. I'm not a dog-lover, not at all, I find them stupid, slobbering, stinky and a general irritation. They do not even know how to clean themselves or clean up after themselves. This "thing" could fit in a tea-cup - I think a cross between a miniature doberman and a slinky with a little bit of chihuaha thrown in. I estimated him at about 5 to 6 weeks old, could not even chew or drink water properly yet. I have to speed-train him (hubby gave me a week) so he slept in a box beside the bed, each time he whined I smacked the box to quieten him and then stroked him to reassure him I was close by. This took 2 nights. The 3rd night moved the box to the kitchen, rushed each time to do the same thing, luckily by the 3rd night he was sleeping a bit longer. By the 5th night (last night) he slept right through. So next step is teaching him to let me know he needs a patch of grass. (We do not have a garden in the complex, just a patch of lawn in the front) I'll appreciate any further tips on house-training if someone has any. When we wake up in the morning is no problem, I take him out as soon as he wakes up in the box, but I am not alway quick enough in the day, and I've been through a bottle of disinfectant and tile cleaner this week already.

Does anyone want a partially trained pup?

Did I mention I inherited a year old tom from my Boet as well.

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Licorice sounds adorable! Some really have great purrrrrsonalities!

Re the pup - I'm not a dog person myself (basically for the same reasons), but have heard that for training, you must place the "paper" you used to clean up the mess at the location that you want the pup to use as a toilet so they can associate the scents. I thought this was nuts, but it worked for my neighbours who got Rhodesian Ridgeback pups. Worth a try I'd say...

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

Also, don't use anything with ammonia (most disinfectants) in it to clean the mess. It encourages them to use the spot again - I actually thought ammonia only encouraged kittens to mess but apparently it encourages dogs too. So rather use some natural product to clean an area.

Hope this helps and that little pup is very lucky - but they are not like kittens and are a bit slower and babylike to housetrain, dear little things...

BeadsandBaubles    10
BeadsandBaubles

I will definitely try all these suggestions, thanx a mil. Pup is still very "dof" - helpless as a baby, which I guess he still is. The vet tells me they only "come into their intelligence" at around 13 weeks old, and from then on it will get easier to train. Still haven't go a name though, guess "the Mutt" is going to stick.

As for the animal accents, the tom 'speaks' a lot, definitely raised by my boet and his noisy brat. What I never thought though is that they develope accents as well. To us the Creole always sounds as if it should have a question mark behind it - the end of their sentences always end in this higher pitch and all their sentences sound like questions, it's really weird.

What's weirder is the tom has developed the same high pitch to at the end of his miaouws. So I feel compelled to answer him everytime he "talks' to me. So the whole day long has me answering his questions and explaining what I'm busy with. He's constantly asking me "how are you?' "what are you doing" "is that for me?" "can I have some too" "what you doing now?" "where's my food?" "can I go out now?" and so on. It's driving me crazy! But he's a sweetheart, very talkative and a real gentleman.

So I'm full house once more. Just wish I had a decent garden.

Cali Craft and Gems

The Tom sounds like my Phoebe - constantly busy and "talks" all the time. I find myself answering her every time she has something to say... and add to that the Maine Coon traits of chirruping (purr and meow at once) and there is never a quiet moment!

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

Lol - I can picture it for I have a Siamese who took 10 years to find his voice and he's been making up for it ever since! The old cats are pretty quiet but my youngest one has a screech instead of a miaow - makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up!!

mellowred    10
mellowred

Don't bank on the oldies being quiet forever BAZ. Mona (so named because she moaned from day 1 when she was about 5 weeks old :hm:), has developed this very loud MIAOW. At 20 years of age she is possibly deaf, senile or just wants more attention.

@ B&B we must look and sound like a couple of nutters. I also have long conversations with Mona - keeps Hennie amused for a while :grin:.

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes
Don't bank on the oldies being quiet forever BAZ. Mona (so named because she moaned from day 1 when she was about 5 weeks old :hm:), has developed this very loud MIAOW. At 20 years of age she is possibly deaf, senile or just wants more attention.

Oh dear... My geriatric two are 18 and 19 so I have but a short time before they join the cat's choir! :sowsuser:

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

Hi BB. A tiny tip....tree tea spray/oil. Animals don't like this smell, so you can use it to spray the area. The "paper towel story" does work. They will look for their own smell again and use that spot as a loo. I've always had dogs and currently have 2 golden labbies. Another hint...let puppy follow kitty around. The smaller dogs actually aquire the cats' "toilet" manners. Take them out together and let them spend some time outside. No guarantees, but I've seen the smaller dogs actually use the sand patches like cats. I've got a siamese seal point too so we're very much an animal family, although hubby does not agree on this one! lol. Good luck with your pup

Cali Craft and Gems

@ MissJewels - thanks for the tip on the tree tea oil. Phoebe is usually a very good girl, but lately she only uses her litter tray for the number one, and the carpet for number two (only in the bedroom - the lounge tray is used for both!). Will give the oil a try as a deterrent.

As per my normal "routine", the kitten / cat is kept indoors for the first year and is only let out for a few minutes a day into the garden under strict supervision - this worked for my older cats as they prefer to be indoors, but Phoebe is something else - she escaped last night and dashed straight out the yard and down the street - I was not impressed! Needless to say she was grounded today!

mellowred    10
mellowred

Cali, cats are instinctively "cat box" trained. The only time any of my cats have used anything other than their tray is when they were not well.

Are you sure there isn't anything bothering Phoebe?

Cali Craft and Gems

She is right as rain. Charges around like a lunatic, irritates the other cats, etc - I would say perfectly normal, but we all know she has a few loose connections somedays! LOL (should have named her Chaos).

I think she's just being plain naughty. The trays are clean, and the litter is changed once a week to eliminate the wet sand. I watch her like a hawk and she's been "good" the past two days so far.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Congrats BB - may the little creatures reward you with years of affection! (It's worth all the training hassles!)