Sign in to follow this  
Akita

Lemon yellow and "Aquamarine" Blue quartz

Akita

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me more about the lemon yellow and "Aquamarine" blue quartz I'm seeing around? Are these colours of quartz usually treated? A google search showed that most naturallly occuring blue quartz tends to be opaque.

An example of what I'm referring to:

Quartz - 19.71 ct ~ BLUE AQUAMARINE PEAR CUT QUARTZ Gemstone for sale in Mossel Bay (ID:44178455)

Quartz - 15.13 ct Beautiful Natural Oval Cut Lemon Quartz Gemstone for sale in Mossel Bay (ID:44184391)

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cali Craft and Gems

Hello Akita

Firstly, it is good that you have sought advice via the Forum - this is a place where you can learn many interesting things.

Re your queries - Lemon Quartz is basically unheated citrine (the gemologists can correct me if I am wrong). It is all in the same 'family'. Can be called Lemon Quartz, Lemon Citrine, Unheated Citrine. Truly a beautiful light shade of naturally occuring lemon yellow.

Re the blue aquamarine quartz - it is Quartz of a "blue aquamarine" shade / colour. It has no relation to Aquamarine, but the name is used to describe the colour. (same goes for Tourmaline green quartz, Paraiba quartz, etc - colour reference only). I am unsure if all of these colours are treatments / dyed or not (I'm not the brightest candle in the pack at this time of night).

I trust that this sheds some light on your enquiries.

Regards,

Janet - Cali Craft and Gems

Akita

Hi Janet,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I've read almost all of the gemstone forum, and you're right - very interesting! I remember a post about sellers referring to it incorrectly as Aquamarine and I'm glad to see that the one's I'm looking at are clearly saying that it's Aquamarine Blue Quartz. Oddly I feel more comfortable about the yellow quartz than I do about the blue.

I have other questions though, is it better to start a new thread with each or put them together?

Many thanks,

Kirsten

Cali Craft and Gems

Hi Kirsten

Suppose it all depends on the question - if it is similar to the one here, then you can include it in this thread, but if it is a totally different query, then perhaps start a new thread for it to get the best exposure and responses.

Kind regards,

Janet - CCG