Sign in to follow this  
chriden

Viewing of items prior to bidding and the "Rules of BorB" - Help please

chriden

What are the rules relating to contact with a potential 'buyer' of an item advertised on biborbuy. I have been asked by an interested party to supply my address in order that he may view the item before bidding. I have replied that he may as long as the transaction still is conducted through bob (and not a private offer!). Is this ok? He now wants me to provide an address so he can view. Am I allowed to do so?

retailrush

You can only make contact prior to a sale if the item is in the Classified listing - then contact details are allowed.

If your item is listed on "buy now" or "auction" listing then you can only make contact after the sale or auction has closed with a winning bidder.

Tell your buyer that it is against BoB rules to make contact before the sale and that you cannot give him your address.

I had a situation like this where a buyer wanted to view some furniture before he proceeded to buy - I called BoB and they said no that is not allowed. They said he would have to place the order or win the auction and then and only then could he make arrangements to view the item. They said that if the buyer did not want the item after viewing I could just file an SNC to claim back the BoB commission charged.

I hope this helps - if it can wait till tomorrow, then call Bid or Buy tomorrow and ask for their advice. Just don't give the buyer your address...

chriden

thanks very much, it does help... a lot

admin
You can only make contact prior to a sale if the item is in the Classified listing - then contact details are allowed.

If your item is listed on "buy now" or "auction" listing then you can only make contact after the sale or auction has closed with a winning bidder.

Hi chriden,

Good advise from retailrush and good answer you gave the interested bidder. :wink:

oaks and acorns

Tell your buyer that it is against BoB rules to make contact before the sale and that you cannot give him your address.

I hope this helps - if it can wait till tomorrow, then call Bid or Buy tomorrow and ask for their advice. Just don't give the buyer your address...

Hi, couldn't find an intro thread on the forum so diving right in...

Thanks so much for your advice retailrush, wasn't sure whether I did a right thing or not... had a buyer who enquired about an item I didn't have listed and so uploaded a pic of what I had in stock. And then the buyer asked if he/she could come and have a look at all my stock.

Uh... ~a big-eyes moment, like buck caught in headlights~

The You've Been Asked a Question email from bid or buy says, "If the buyer is asking you to contact them directly in order to bypass the bidorbuy system, please note that this is against the bidorbuy Terms and Conditions."

The Buyer's not asking me to contact him/her directly because he/she hasn't provided contact details. But he/she IS asking for mine, that's gotta constitute bypassing something... ....

Okay, so I ignored the request to come and view my stock and just answered the question and tried to advise on the problem the buyer presented, even though I couldn't provide the items they were asking for. But to be quite honest, I was quite reluctant to come right out and say No, it's against BoB rules to make contact before the sale. Because I really wasn't sure.

So very pleased to have found this thread. And next time I'll feel quite confident in saying no-way-jose! You know (and now I'm sure) it's against the rules.

Thanks again :smile:

Edited by oaks and acorns

Little Miss Muffet

Buyers often ask to view items at your home in order to see what you have and get it at a cheaper price.

oaks and acorns

Hmmm... in that case, prices are doubled for house-calls on weekdays, tripled on Saturdays and quadrupled on Sundays. And I'll post the items at the regular rate :noworry:

But yeah, jokes aside, what you're saying there makes sense - and perhaps that's why the buyer has been registered for 2 years on BoB, with no actual purchases under the belt?