Sign in to follow this  
MAGTraders

Illegal item for sale on Crazy Wednesday auction

MAGTraders

Action - HOMEFRONT (BRAND NEW) PC for sale in Fouriesburg (ID:43748182)

Read their 'disclaimer'. This is not an original game, it is a 'backup' (aka copied game). They claim it is legal to make backup copies of games (which may be true), however.. SELLING games of this nature is in fact ILLEGAL. In fact, even in their disclaimer they are illegally using the Microsoft logo. I have sent this to community watch as I noticed the same seller already selling items of this nature on Weekend Special.

Selling games of this nature hampers legitimate sellers like myself who are struggling to sell the games they source from various suppliers.

If selling 'backup' games is allowed on Bidorbuy then what is to stop me from making copies of e.g. Valve's entire catalogue of new and upcoming games and simply auctioning them off?

Please Bidorbuy put an end to this.

admin

Hi MAGTraders,

All items were removed, that disclaimer is not worth the keyboard it was typed with, in my humble opinion. Software piracy is software piracy, no matter how you try and "spin" it.

You are allowed to make a backup if you own the game to save the original. Selling them to someone that "has" the original is another story :whistling:

MAGTraders

Thanks - once again great service by Bidorbuy!

Libertas Computers
You are allowed to make a backup if you own the game to save the original. Selling them to someone that "has" the original is another story :whistling:

This is actually one of the grey areas of pirating... There are lots of places selling what they call backups to their customers... Because you are allowed to own a backup and every person does not know how to make one, so you buy ones like these....

But I'm not a big fan of them, because it's just a way to hide, I agree. How on earth do you prove that this person does indeed own the original?

Guest Guest

Is a Claerhout back-up painting a safe and sound investment?

Hi...!

A wet "original" (Not to be mistaken with a fairly dry "genuine" one...) Claerhout painting should also be seen as a "Back-up" copy though...

There's clearly a sure market for all these back-ups... Not so? :awesome: - I tell you...

MiemsJewels

It's the same as listing a fake TIFFANY piece under " AUTHENTIC TIFFANY jewelry" Isn't it so? Also a back-up then?

Guest Guest

Hello Miems, Yep! Why not...? In for a penny - in for a pound... :twisted: One for going to Mc Donald-outings and, one for the Vault... (Rather safe than sorry... OK..., some pun intended...)

Honestly? Thing is..., if you truly stay pure when implementing a principal the resultant will not become a gray or grave area... Where corpses can be uprooted. So to speak.

admin
This is actually one of the grey areas of pirating...

True, it is illegal to make a backup copy of your original cd's/dvd's, but it is not a criminal offense if it is for your own personal use, go figure...

ATA STAMP CENTRE

I wish i could make a "back up"copy of my wife when she is in a good and accomodating mood!!:grin:ah well wishful thinking again:idea:

Neil

MAGTraders

I think this is pretty clear cut:

a) You may make copies/backups of games if for personal use.

b) You may not sell/distribute these backups to other parties whether for free or at a price.

No grey areas as far as I am concerned.

It doesn't really pay to buy games like this as well because these days most of the new games have DRM protection - so if the original has already been activated you will not be able to activate the backup in order to play it. Unless you 'crack' or modify the game install files or game key (which is also illegal unless for personal use provided you own the original game). Also, pirating games leads to the games companies using things like Starforce protection and other DRM methods which sometimes hampers owners of legitimate games. Sometimes these games don't install properly, don't activate properly or simply do not even play.

Besides, would you rather have the original of something or sub-standard copy?