Sign in to follow this  
EEND

Use my copyright images?!

EEND

Hi

Is it allowable to promote your sales on BoB with images of another open auction? These are my images and hence I have copyright?

Graded Coins - 1893@@SIXPENCE@R1#START for sale in Cape Town (ID:42813103)

Silver Coins - @@A MUST SEE COIN@@ 1893 6 PENCE - HERN'S VALUE IN XF R15000-00, AU R25000-00, UNC R35000-00 for sale in Welkom (ID:43570529)

:disgusted:

Regards Neels

Guest Guest

Use of copyright images

Hi Eend

The best solution is to emboss the image in some way with your copyright claim otherwise the person who uses it without your permission could present the argument that he/she thought the image was a publicly available one. Morally anyone using someone else's image should FIRST ask for permission to do so but the reality is that plagiarising images is a very common practice on the Internet and there is very little you can do about it. In most published books you will find most images attributed to the person who originally took the photo OR noting their copyright.

So the best solution is to get a transparent overlay that might read Copyright Eend and stick it across the image - you will see other sellers now do this. It is quite easy to do and will stop people plagiarising your images.

You could legally take someone to court for using your image but the costs would far outweigh the benefits.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

EEND

Hi Scott

Thanks for the advice. So in short if Bob does not stop this practice I may use images from fellow bidders to promote my own auction?

Regards

Neels

Guest Guest

Hi Neels

Yes... but if the seller sees that you are using his image expect to get some flack.. rightfully earned.

Maybe BoB would consider allowing a "shame file" where those blatantly plagiarising other's images when selling items on BoB are exposed... but you would have to be careful as it is a grey area.

For example, you will see in the "ON THE CUSP" thread above I have cut and paste extracts from charts on gold and silver.. sometimes with the source. This is not considered plagiarising as the chart is a "public" document because it would be identical from several independent sources on the web - this reflects what a can of worms this area is. Further complications come in when it comes to transcribing someone else's comments on a subject - like I often do in the same thread. The rule of thumb is that as long as you give, or where possible, directly link to the source on the web there is no issue or any breach of copyright as the writer of the original work is recognised.

Kind regards

Scott Balson