Sign in to follow this  
BeadsandBaubles

Mushroom Lovers Only!

BeadsandBaubles    10
BeadsandBaubles

With our move to China still pending, I thought I'd try some of the cuisinne, but after my recent food-poisonning episode, decided it would be better to cook it myself.

So took myself off to China City and found the MOST FANTASTIC product - dehydrated mushrooms. I'm the most ardent mushroom fan - but I have this sort of "moral issue" about spending money on certain foodstuffs that just are not their price worth - a tiny punnet here costs R22 with about "if I'm lucky" 2 dozen mushrooms. So I go without, except on special occassions.:toung:

Anyways, the pack is big, can't really say the weight 'cos its all in Chinese - but must be about at the least 24 punnets-and-more-worth. Knowing nothing about cooking dehydrated mushrooms, my first attempt resulted in rubbery, chewy blobs with a very questionable flavour. 2nd time around steamed them in a metal colander in my steam pot, threw off the water about 4 times (its STINKS - not as bad as cooking cabbage though, so opened windows and persevered)

All I can say is WOW! The result was the most succulent, juicy and tasty mushrooms I have had in a long time. Unlike fresh ones which shrink when cooked, these expanded as they drew in the steam. The pack cost me a measly R45, and if anyone has been sceptical about using dehydrated mushrooms, don't be, go ahead and try them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1864[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1865[/ATTACH]

Unfortunately my experience with the "chinese cabanossi" was not so pleasant - only after throwing away the grossly sickly-sweet meaty sticks (who on earth thought of sweetening pork in the first place?) did I discover it needs to be sliced thin and used in a "certain" way. It's not a snack, lol.

TS Ron    10
TS Ron

B&B what I have believed when using dehydrated mushrooms is they have to soaked for an while before cooking them. I have not tried of lately my family has been asking me to try. Thank you for the info.

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

B & B it sounds Yummie!!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Now I would love to buy some of those dehydrated mushrooms, B&B. How about putting them up for sale on BoB? (They won't be heavy items to post either!)

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels
Now I would love to buy some of those dehydrated mushrooms, B&B. How about putting them up for sale on BoB? (They won't be heavy items to post either!)

Okay Lilly, I'll buy some...... (you can buy from me)......................., and you can then re-sell it on Bidorbuy LOL Only joking......On the other hand, what if I can supply it to you at a cheaper price?

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
Okay Lilly, I'll buy some...... (you can buy from me)......................., and you can then re-sell it on Bidorbuy LOL Only joking......On the other hand, what if I can supply it to you at a cheaper price?

Please email me with the price, Miems. I definitely want a large packet provided it doesn't bankrupt me! You can then put the order on BoB. Many thanks.

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels
Please email me with the price, Miems. I definitely want a large packet provided it doesn't bankrupt me! You can then put the order on BoB. Many thanks.

Will let you know on Monday Lilly. Maybe I can negotiate with them for better prices if I take large quantities. :bigsmile:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Thanks, Miems. Will wait to hear from you!