Sign in to follow this  
unicoin

Speed Services Shipping Fee

unicoin

Is it really necessary for a seller to ask such a high speed services shipping fee of R110-00 up to 1 kg. This is for the first item, next items are free. This is for inland fees only.:sad:

Guest Guest

Count your lucky stars

As someone living in Australia I am used to paying much more for that for REGISTERED airmail on much lighter parcels.

As a matter of interest I learnt something new from one of the BoB sellers in the last few days... apparently there is a postal strike in Australia*; the reason my parcel (valued at over R8,000) was never posted a month ago and no tracking number supplied to him by the post office (apparently the items were held at the local post office because of the "Australian postal strike").

*I live in Australia and the postal services are running just fine - got my South African GPS for my trip from a BoB seller just last week.

Watch this space...

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

geejay50

Hi,

Speed Services counter to counter up to 1 Kg should only cost R70 - i think R110 is too much. We are talking domestic shipping Scott.

Geejay

Mike Klee

Hi,

Until the end of the month, Speed Services is running a special on the counter-to-counter 1kg prepaid plastic packs at R57 - so R110 is a cool 100% windfall on postal costs alone.

Mike

Miss Jewels

Thanks Mike Klee. I wasn't even aware of this. Going to stock up on Monday so I can give my clients a bit of a saving on postage

Seeds for Africa

I dont charge that much but I do charge extra for Speed Services. Simply put, the Speed Service order gets shipped the same day, meaning I put everyting aside to prioritise that order. Secondly I make a special trip for mailing this order meaning a cost of vehicle expenses and my time to ship this item. I offer standard shipping at R35, so the customer isnt forced to take Speed Services. At the end of the day I dont profit on it and thats what shipping is all about - the cost to ship an item, and not an opportunity to profit on shipping!

Mike Klee

Hi GAMU Trading,

After 30 years in business, I am aware of the two parts of a successful transaction - the actual sale, then the task of getting the product to the customer.

Focussing on getting the product to the customer, I always try to find the safest, most expeditious method of delivery possible which is also cost effective.

I hear what you say about Speed Services, but you would surely have to make a " trip for mailing this order meaning a cost of vehicle expenses and my time to ship this item" - irrespective of whatever delivery method your customer specified? Whether that entails registered/insured surface post or Speed Services, the effort and expense to you is basically the same; whether you post it Speed Services the same day or a day or two later really doesn't make any difference to 99.9% of people - they just want to be assured that the item has been sent to you and that they are not going to have to wait weeks for it.

If you charge more than the actual Speed Services cost, that is up to you - but I have noticed this is a recurrent sore point with a lot of buyers......

Mike

Seeds for Africa

I am talking from my personal perspective. If I ship regular mail, I make one trip with over 10 parcels so the cost is spread over those parcels. I offer standard mail, which I prefer my customers to use as quite honestly shipping via Speed Services is a hassle and does entail a special trip as well as throwing the routine out. I think the key is offering choice to buyers. My buyers can elect for a standard parcel at R35 or Speed Services at R100.

At the end of the day the buyer has a choice. If they want the parcel urgently there is a cost to that.

Cali Craft and Gems

Sellers - keep in mind that when the SAPO offers a 'special' on Speed Service items, that means that the price will be increasing when the special ends! This has been the norm for the past 4 years! Normal increases effective 1 April across board, additional SS increase around September!

Mike Klee

Hi,

Over the last few years, Speed Services has had a remarkably stable range of pricing for the 1kg prepaid bag: anywhere from a low of R50, to the recurring special of R57 to a high of roughly R65.

For my business, I buy 50 at a time when they are on special at R57, which then allows me to deliver my products to dealers very cost-effectively.

As I only charge them the true cost of postage - normally R57 - the dealers are happy and like to do business with me......

Mike

unicoin
Hi,

Over the last few years, Speed Services has had a remarkably stable range of pricing for the 1kg prepaid bag: anywhere from a low of R50, to the recurring special of R57 to a high of roughly R65.

For my business, I buy 50 at a time when they are on special at R57, which then allows me to deliver my products to dealers very cost-effectively.

As I only charge them the true cost of postage - normally R57 - the dealers are happy and like to do business with me......

Mike

That is a honest person, you can charge for packaging also, but all of that do not have to end at R110-00 or more. Most of the numismatic products only weighs a few gram. I also notice some seller add additional costs for every item in the same package. I am also a seller, but do not have the heart to do my buyers in like that.

Miss Jewels

I currently charge R75.00 per bag which includes my packaging, ring boxes and organza bags. Each additional item is R2.50 to cover either the ring box or the organza bag. When specials are on, as is now, I drop my price to be in line with the postage. I feel this price is very reasonably and have never yet had a client complain about my shipping costs. There are too many sellers currently on BoB trying to recoup selling costs by charging higher postage rates. These are the sellers who need to be exposed. @CCG - just before the cut-off of the specials, I buy in about 25 bags because I know the price will be going up again and you never know what surprise the PO will give you re the pricing. Better to be prepared.

Edited by Miss Jewels
user