coinexionz

1925 Florin - will it grade? - opinions appreciated

coinexionz    10
coinexionz

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1849[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1848[/ATTACH]

Edited by coinexionz

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

There are some hairline marks in front of the lower part of the Kings face that bothers me. But if they are not due to cleaning or dedicated rubbing, the coin should grade.

In my humble opinion, the reverse (back) is a XF45 but the obverse (front) not better than a VF30. Overall I would grade your coin as a VF35.

If I remember correctly, a XF45 sold for R16 800 on BoB a while ago.

The 1925 Florin is a seriously scarce coin in any terms. An elder friend of mine who have been collecting Union coins since 1959, told me that in the late 1970s, he swopped two of his full Kruger 1 Oz Rands for a 1925 Florin.

I had a good look at his Florin and can tell you with all honesty that your coin and his are on par as far as condition goes. So value wise, your coin were consider the value of two full Kruger Rands = (R22 000 in today's terms) about 30 years ago by the old time collectors.

Kind regards

Pierre

Edited by Pierre_Henri

geejay50    10
geejay50

Hi coinexionx,

I aggree with Pierre as to the possible excessive scratches on the Obverse. Its hard to judge such a coin from just one picture though. Ideally one would like to see it.

Good luck though, either way, its a very scarce and sought after coin.In this condition, not often seen.

Geejay

coinexionz    10
coinexionz

thanks much appreciated. Will let you know what the coin grades