Sign in to follow this  
dstorm

Classic RSA? Will I be shot at dawn?

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello all

Perhaps I am showing my age (and thus also pointing out Mr DK’s (aka Seahorsefantic) age, but I think that he following is relevant.

Way back in 1988 when I started dealing in stamps, the Commonwealth King George VI period started to take off in popularity – a trend that is still increasing today – 23 years later. Many of these stamps were then between 40 and 50 years old. At that stage, these stamps were never referred to as being Modern Material

The RSA and SWA 1st Definitive stamps (and relevant commemoratives) issued in the early 1960s are now FIFTY YEARS old or just about fifty years old. Yet, most dealers or collectors refer to them as modern stamps!

So from now on I will refer to myself as a dealer in Old or even Classic RSA and SWA stamps! I trust that dealers like Ata Stamp Centre will join me. Come on Neil, I am sure that you can take the punch.

I wonder how many countries have a definitive series that can be collected and studied in such a depth – at a still relatively moderate cost.

Just look at any Great Britain auction catalogue: Many (even minor) Great Britain Queen Elizabeth II varieties now fetch 100’s or even 1000’s of Pounds. Quality RSA / SWA errors and varieties are finally finding there rightful place in the market – let us all salute them.

Thanks and regards

Jacques

Edited by dstorm

kennyn    10
kennyn

Hello Jacques

You walked straight into this one

As you are almost the same age as the stamps , you could go one stage further and instead of a dealer in old stamps you could just describe yourself as an old dealer in stamps.

Or if one was to be kinder,although I cannot think why , you could give yourself the ultimate title of CLASSIC DEALER

Oh good news Heather bought 4 cases of wine yesterday,but is wondering where her Grants went.

Kindest regards

Kenny

morganfarrell    10
morganfarrell

Now you're making me feel old, Jacques. When I started collecting stamps (as a kid), the Union animal series was in use. Oh well, I'm sure that there are others out there that can beat that.

Regards,

Morgan

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello Kenny and Morgan

I am 80 days younger than the RSA 1st Definitives.

“Old Dealer in stamps”? Until you and Savo came along I was the youngest. Must say….Classic Dealer does have that special ring to it. Whether my colleagues will agree remains to be seen.

Regards

Jacques

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

You are still a youngster!! :bigsmile:

seahorsefanatic    10
seahorsefanatic

Hi there

When the issues around the time I was born are refered to as classics that does make me feel old. Time flies. If the forties are refered to as the "naughty forties" what does one use for the fifties other than nifty ? :cool:

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE
Hi there

When the issues around the time I was born are refered to as classics that does make me feel old. Time flies. If the forties are refered to as the "naughty forties" what does one use for the fifties other than nifty ? :cool:

I thought modern material was post 2000 but hey!!what do i know-NEIL-the shifty fifty,s maybe??

RDO Philatelics    10
RDO Philatelics

You youngsters make me feel 400 years old

I started collecting SA KINGS HEADS when I was 16 years OLD..... LONG BEFORE SA WAS A REPUBLIC. I remember talking to great collectors like, Mr Elisa Blume, Ralph Putzel, Len van der Carr (I have a bit of his collection), but also had the pleasure in knowing the younger generation of Dave Crocker, Henk de Lange & Mike Deverell. Some of SA Philatelic Greats:smile: Cheers Robbie Dallas-Orr (RDO Philatelics)

mellowred    10
mellowred
Hello Kenny and Morgan

I am 80 days younger than the RSA 1st Definitives.

“Old Dealer in stamps”? Until you and Savo came along I was the youngest. Must say….Classic Dealer does have that special ring to it. Whether my colleagues will agree remains to be seen.

Regards

Jacques

And here I always thought of you as a sexy young thing ... whiskey in one hand, ciggie in the other, pooch at your feet ... oh life can be disappointing :cry:.

"Classic" does have a ring, but then you'll have to swap the ciggie for a cigar and sip on a cognac.

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello all

What a response – and mostly about age!

I think that first of all we should salute Robbie. From what he said it seems as if he bought the Kings Heads as new issues. I might be kicked out of SAPDA for using other dealers’ names in vain, but the following must be said: anyone who refers to David Crocker as part of the younger generation must be ancient! My daughter once asked me whether I had a dinosaur as a pet when I was young. I am sure that Robbie once owned a Triceratops.

Very seriously though, it must be a privilege to own part of van der Karr’s collection.

To Mellowred: “me a sexy young thing”? Well, you got two of the three right. If you want to see Kenny laugh (as in really laugh) it would be on Saturday at the Sandton Fair if I were to walk in there with a cigar in my hand. No comment on what he would do if he were to catch me with a cognac in the other hand. I do have a lovely black top hat. Perhaps I should invest in a cane and a pair of white gloves….

Rather no comment to Lily, Neil and David about trivialising the very serious matter about the 50’s.

Thanks and regards

Jacques

DennisPM    10
DennisPM

Mmmmm, I find it strange that no one has used the word "vintage" or "antique" yet... :bigsmile::bigsmile: Perhaps we should borrow from the motor car hobby and refer to dealers as "classic", veteran, and "vintage". Now I can picture a classic Jacques, who is a veteran of the stamp dealer world, wearing an antique top-hat and imbibing a vintage cognac :cool:

All right will go back to sorting and packaging my modern or is it 30-year old classic Homelands material....:unsure::unsure:

Kind regards

Dennis

mellowred    10
mellowred
Mmmmm, I find it strange that no one has used the word "vintage" or "antique" yet... :bigsmile::bigsmile ...

Just being polite Dennis :cool: