Sign in to follow this  
BeadsandBaubles

Help!!!

BeadsandBaubles

Hi

Hope someone can help me. I plugged in my camera to transfer pics to my pc and all my usb devices blinked out. There are 6 USB plug and play ports on the PC and none of them want to work now, including the modem, mouse and external hard drive.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the drivers, and on the device manage they show as working, but nothing I plug in wants to show or work.

I have to use the keyboard to navigate, which is sloooow, and difficult. OS is XP Professional 2002.

MiemsJewels

B & B The same happened to me a while ago. Also tried to download pictures. Switch off your PC for a while, and then try again. I cannot promise that it will help you, but it worked for me.

Edited by MiemsJewels

MiemsJewels
B & B The same happened to me a while ago. Also try to download pictures. Switch off your PC for a while, and then try again. I cannot promise that it will help you, but it worked for me.

Strange, I wrote the word "promise" only once, but it show up twice:shock:

jinxster78

Miems would be correct with a cold start... (note the switch off PC for a while), however sometimes you need a bit more than that...

Do you get a USB device not recognised? or just nothing when you plug in something?

You may find some weird USB drivers in device manager OR an imaging device driver (some TWAIN devices can do funny stuff) Words weird and funny used but they really mean, if you go into device manage select a Host Controller and goto properties, on the details tab, you find a drop down with a hundred settings... thats where they messed u around.

The bad news is to properly troubleshoot which one, takes about 100 times longer than backing up and reinstalling windows.

The good news is, there are 2 things you can try. Either order, you choose based on your preference.

1. Google a program called "USBDeview" if you cant find it I can send it to you, it is free. Delete everything then connect up your mouse and hopefully you got a starting point.

2. Uninstall your camera software and anything saying "USB ....." related to it.

Add:

Apart from that you may find you have 6 ports but some of them may be rated at 500mA and others 1000mA. Generally the front ones can be either but usually 500mA, the back ones always 1000mA, laptops always 500mA. Which could be where your problem started.

Edited by jinxster78

Bertman Trading

I had a similar problem but with my SD card reader on Monday! It just didn't pick any card up! I deleted and re-installed new drivers and device manager also said working fine in Win 7.

Did a system restore to a previous point with no luck, but when I restored to an even earlier date voila!

I identified Blackberry Desktop Software as the culprit! So if you loaded new software or win updates recently....Restore!

BeadsandBaubles

Its those upgrades, I'm sure of it. Everytime I do one something crashes. I hate them, and try put them off as long as I can, but without them my pc slowly becomes unstable.

So now I made a total booboo by re-installing Windows:whistling: I have an OEM so have to re-register (thats what it tells me), problem is it only goes to the user login, and no further - how do I re-register if I cannot get into windows? I'm stumped. And I still don't know if the usb's are working or not either.

Hubby is freaking out for his laptop, which I've appropiated.

I'll definitely try find that USBDeview, I've heard it mentioned before (the last time this happened I managed a system restore, which wouldn't work this time) Oh well, maybe it's techie time again.

Thanks for all the suggestions, just wish I had checked back here before reinstalling :sad:

jinxster78

If reinstalling doesn't help you may have a faulty device.... so maybe try it in another computer then... that could make you a bit :sick: :disgusted: :mad: :cry: since you reinstalled...

On your OEM version.. it means it comes bundled with the computer... it doesn't mean it is illegal to reinstall. However since it is probable your Windows got your USB and chipset drivers mixed up, it thinks you have a different chipset... so in case of OEM laptop, it actually looks like you replaced the motherboard.

This thread (the links on it) may be useful, thought it comes from M$ so that is a bit wishful: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/replacing-motherboard-on-system-running-oem/9aed1ae6-99f9-477a-940b-d8d9003f9246

You may find your IE is messing up your activation since it is the browser that secretly connects to M$ activation stuff.

It never happened to me in Win7 yet... but for XP you had to...

1. Boot up and press F8 before windows loads.

2. Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt

3. Type in: %windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe (%windir% is your windows folder probably C:\Windows -> dont forget the C:\)

If not is there any way you could discover more information?

MiemsJewels

B & B, I think you should take it to your nearest IT expert. That will definitely resolve the problem LOL :bigsmile: