Sign in to follow this  
BeadsandBaubles

Hayfever Recipe

BeadsandBaubles

Spring is in the air. Hayfever season is just around the corner so thought I'd post this simple little recipe if anyone would like to try it. I have been using it for donkey years and works like a bomb.

To a litre of pre-boiled water add a teaspoon each of salt and baking soda (bicarbonate of soda). The bicarb costs about R1.70 a small packet in the baking section of any supermarket, so this is a really cheap alternative to nasal sprays (which are basically the same thing anyways).

If you are able to find locally produced honey (ie from the area you are living in) a tablespoon of this can be added while the water is still warm, this helps to raise your immunity to local pollens.

This solution can be kept for a week long at room temperature. I sniff it right off the palm of my hand, but if you have difficulty doing this, then a neti pot can be used.

I also keep a spray bottle for my bag, as I travel monthly between Kuruman and Joburg which plays havoc with my sinuses. I battled to find a refillable nasal spray pump, so bought a product called Otrivin from the pharmacy. It has a plastic bottle which I drilled a tiny hole in and refill with a syringe (sealed with a small slip of sticky tape each time)

This is not a preventative, but it is safe to use and useful in clearing out stuffy and blocked sinuses. Hope you find it useful:biggrin:

(PS - the purpose of the bicarb is to balance the ph level of the water as close to that of the nasal mucous as possible, if the solution stings, adjust the quantity a pinch at a time until there is no stinging at all)

lilythepink

Well there couldn't have been a more timeous posting ... I will definitely give this a try! (Am sneezing my head off with hayfever this morning - something I only get every Spring!) Thanks for the tip.

MiemsJewels

Thank you B & B. I copy & paste it. Will try it for sure.