Sign in to follow this  
dstorm

Accurate descriptions.

dstorm

Hello all stamp sellers

What is happening in the stamp section?

During the last few weeks I have seen some unbelievably inaccurate descriptions on a number of items listed, especially on the Crazy Wednesday Auctions.

Washed, faded, rusted stamps with missing perforations are listed as Very Fine Used, RSA 2nd definitive control blocks with the date torn off are being listed as “no date” varieties and thus called RARE, forgeries are listed as genuine, minor colour shifts are being listed as major colour shifts, etc, etc.

I am not saying that any of the sellers are dishonest, but to simply hide behind the old story of “I did not know better” or to simply deny any guilt should simply not be acceptable.

The stamp market is strong with many new and inexperienced buyers entering the stage every month. Let us not kill the goose that lays the golden egg. Let each and every seller think long term.

The idea was brought up before, but I really think that it is time to bring in a code of ethics for the BoB stamp sellers.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Jacques

lilythepink

Well, I have thousands of stamps which I no longer want. I just list them as being from "a childhood collection" and that doesn't make any false promises.

Some of the stamps may be quite valuable, whilst others are not so perfect, but at least a buyer knows not to expect too much.

dstorm

Hello Lily

Thanks for your reply

I am not at all referring to bulk lots or loose stamps. I am referring to lots where substandard stamps, forgeries, reprints, etc, etc, are incorrectly described as valuable items.

The sellers of the cheaper stamps are the backbone of our hobby and they do immeasurable good to the trade – in turn they get very little financial reward. After all, almost all collectors start small and then move up.

So please keep on listing!

Thanks and regards

Jacques

seahorsefanatic

Hi Jacques

This topic will go on forever. If you are clever enough to know about terms such as "fine used, scarce, rare, missing date" then the seller should back this up with research to substantiate what they are selling. Sadly this is not the case. What about the latest favourite seller - missperfed stamps and colour variances.

If a set was issues with poor setting of perfs and colours then a well centered one is the "rare" one. Looking through the RSA issues in the sixties, a well centered and printed stamp in some cases is the exception. As you know, I can supply thousands of these stamps and put them on BoB but I would not be happy with selling what I regard as a poor cousin to a fine used specimen.

I would be fully behind a "code of ethics' regarding sellers as you cannot put your head in the sand and avoid the important fact that not only is this a great hobby to enjoy it is also an investment. Where do sellers stand with regard to the Consumer Protection Act ? I have a copy of the Juta's publication on the matter and will be going though it soon as it applies to my business. Maybe this is the place to start ? :smile:

qball

If you guys want to put something together (Buyer's Guide) we will look at publishing in the category.

dstorm

Thank you very much Cuan!

I will try to consult with as many BoB sellers as possible and then try to move forward.

Regards

Jacques

DennisPM

Hi Jacques

I am for it!! I must admit the colour variation/perf thingies are starting to get me down to the extent that I am now starting to wonder if I am getting it wrong. I agree about beginners and start-up collectors being valuable to the hobby and especially to dealers and that they should be guided and nurtured. There is a need to educate beginners that for example, old does not equate to rare and valuable, etc.

Kind regards

Dennis

dstorm

Hello Dennis

Thanks for your reply.

I feel that it is very important that some of the new buyers should be guided in the right direction. In previous posts (perhaps two or three years ago), I asked for dealers to post scans / articles of items that are within their area(s) of expertise. There was just about no feedback.

Perhaps we should look towards that again.

To David, regarding the CPA, I must admit that I have no idea of what is going on. All my items (except literature - for copyright reasons) have (and always had) an unconditional money back guarantee. So I believe that I am covered any way.

A lot of stamp sellers on BoB do not advertise their guarantees, but as far as I know, most, will refund your money in case of a non satisfactory deal in any case.

Thanks and regards

Jacques

librashares

"I feel that it is very important that some of the new buyers should be guided in the right direction. In previous posts (perhaps two or three years ago), I asked for dealers to post scans / articles of items that are within their area(s) of expertise. There was just about no feedback"

Hi Jacques, After a chat with Cuan at the Coin show last week, I decided that the way to counter mis-description is to auction the same Item, with the correct description and starting price, but closing a few minutes earlier than the item with the "incorrect" description. In keeping with your earlier request that I publish some detail on the Virtual stamps, I am addressing both issues at once, and publishing in my description some of the Factual information on these stamps.

I think we should also direct bidders to the Forum in our description- so that they can read and see some free advice from those who have the T-Shirt, and been there, Done That! Let's shake this tree and see what falls out..............58f5a7283c347_Virtual-barcodedamp.jpg.e8005402a81eadc94e3923834a416573.jpg The Virtuals are a fascinating topic, just see the barcode variances in adjacent stamps, where the printhead position over the Phosphor band made a huge difference.

See my description for lot 43197337, closing t-morrow.............