Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
threeosix

Try to sell stamp collection

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm new here.

My father and I used to collect stamps 20 years ago for a few years and we have a modest collection of stamps and first day covers. Now I want to sell them all because I've long lost interest in philately and the stamps are just stored in files in a cupboard.

Does used stamps worth any value? Or only mint unused stamps are worth selling?

Is there any free or cheap stamp catalogue or guide to find out their value?

We have stamps from all over the world and FDC mainly from Hong Kong.

Thanks

Your local Library should have stamp catalogues and you will be able to catalogue the value of your stamps. There are usually two colums listed inthe catalogue one columb for mint and the other columb for used stamps. Both mint and used stamps have value. Hope this helps.

Hi

Take a look at the Philatelic material that is being sold on the site and compare your collection to get some idea. Generally the collections that are put together as a hobby over the years are not worth much unless the collector had a bit of knowledge about what he/she was collecting. Then again you never know, you may discover some gems that are worth a bit. An inportant part of evaluating your collection is to look closely at the condition of the stamps, stamps stuck down with glue, torn stamps, short perfs, rust etc will all have an impact on the re-sale value. Have fun and if you need any more advice or help, post it on the forum, someone will come back to you.

Regards

Gabriel1

Now that is what I call service Gabriel. I could not have posted that clearer if I tried. What a Boytjie you are. It is time for me to conjure up another question.

Hi threeosix

Stanley Gibbons has an on line catalogue that is free, but without pictures. I used to use this catalogue and combine it with freestampcatalogue.com, which doesn't give prices but shows the stamps in all their glory. Initially, you will pull your hair out chunk by chunk, but once you get into the swing of things it beats driving to the library every twenty minutes. I'm not to sure about your local library, but ours won't let us take reference books out at all.

To check out Stanley Gibbons go to (remember the www.) stanleygibbons.com, go to my collection and select the country you wish to view. At the same time, go to (www.) freestampcatalogue.com and go to existing stamps by country and look for the country that you are busy with.

Please remember that values given in catalogues are merely an indication of the value of the stamp, but a stamp is really only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. I believe that these auction sites have had a negative impact on the resale value of many collectors items (not only stamps), but have certainly helped many sellers expand their markets.

Apologies to all sellers and collectors out there, but this is only my opinion (and written at 2am).

Regards

Rusty500

problems with both

Stanley gibbons besides not giving graphics they only give their Cat # which does not help if you do not know which stamp denotes that number and they cannot give you up to date issues.

freestampcatalogue give great graphics and only their price is they have stock and at times do not list the stamps if they have never acquired it for their inventory.

Hi Angela

As I said in the previous message, you will pull your hair out using this method, but the stamps pictured in freestamp have values that you can tie up to values in Stanley. Not perfect, but I used it for a while and got quite used to it. Unfortunately, their will always be stamps that you could never catalouge in this manner, but, if you are busy giving up your collection, it beats buying a new catalogue.

Regards

Rusty500

Thank you for everybody's contribution.

What about FDCs? Any online catalogue for those?

Can I post some photos or scans here? Sometimes I may want to show some of my collection to the experts here.

thanks again.