Sign in to follow this  
BeadsandBaubles

A question regarding insurance.

BeadsandBaubles

Just as a matter of interest.

Can a seller offer insurance on a parcel without resorting to the SAPO insurance?

Wild Olive Art

I don't see why not . There is nothing in the Bidorbuy rules to say that the insurance we offer has to be with the post office , I think people use the SAPO option it as a matter of convenience to claim back the money from the SAPO if they lose the parcel .

qball

Unfortunately to offer your own insurance you need to be a registered Short Term insurance company, as you are effectively accepting premiums to offer insurance and underwrite the risk. We wouldn't necessarily allow this.

MiemsJewels

I think the only "insurance" we as sellers can offer them is replacement or full money back. Without any "insurance fee" payable.

BeadsandBaubles

Thanks All.

Why I asked - I set in the insurance goodie on the shipping charges, (thought it was optional?) so even the orders under R100 have the extra insurance added - not necessary seeing that SAPO offers free insurance for under R100. grrr - got some mailing and refunding to do.

Edited by BeadsandBaubles

Vegar

The free insurance for items under R100 pertains to REGISTERED mail which contain valuables only. See Page 8 Post office brochure.

All other parcels can be insured from R1 up to R5000

brad112

Just out of a matter of interest, if a buyer purchases an item from a Verified User who is protected by bidorbuy's Buyer Protection and the item goes missing in the postal system does the Buyer Protection cover this or is it the buyers risk/loss?

lilythepink

I think it's the seller's risk/loss, unfortunately, but hopefully Cuan can explain it more clearly. (Hope he's enjoying his week-end!)

Vegar
Just out of a matter of interest, if a buyer purchases an item from a Verified User who is protected by bidorbuy's Buyer Protection and the item goes missing in the postal system does the Buyer Protection cover this or is it the buyers risk/loss?

If the item is sent via ordinary mail, without insurance, and the seller states that the item is not covered for loss then it is at the BUYER's risk.

Most sellers will provide an option for insurance. However, if the buyer paid for insurance, was promised insurance or registered mail, and the seller sent the item via ordinary mail and it was lost - then the seller is liable.

The buyer's protection is against fraud - in case the item was not sent, or the item differs from the description.

This is how I perceive it ... ??

qball

We do not cover goods that go missing via the postal system (lost or stolen), this does not constitute fraud from the seller's side, therefore we would not cover the transaction. Buyers should always insist on tracking and insurance to cover these sorts of incidents, but most sellers do offer this. he parties involved would need to sort it out with the Post Office and lodge a claim with them.

Regarding the risk - our understanding is that the risk does remain with the seller until goods are actually delivered to the buyer.