Sign in to follow this  
barbaro

Gold coins

barbaro    10
barbaro

Hi guys and gals,

I just have a few questions about gold coins, i would appreciate any answers/responses.

I'm looking at possibly buying a 1/4oz gold coin at the SA mint, there are 3 different options; Krugerrand 22ct, Natura 24ct and Heritage 24ct coins.

What is the difference between these 3 coins? besides the price of course Which coin would you buy (if you were looking to buy one) and why?

Is there anything else i should know about them?

Thanks!

Timeless Value    10
Timeless Value

Hi

I would buy the heritage coin. It is a new series and they only mint it in the 1/4oz whereas the other two are minted in 1/10, 1/2 an 1oz. From my experience the first coin in a series has a strong outlook for doing well. The proof KR tends to track bullion price and also does not attract a strong collectors premium.

I would also consider the Honey Bee which is in the 1/10 denomination which is also the first of a series

Always bear in mind that the demand and supply of a coin dictates its market value. If there is a low mintage and the coin is popular expect very strong returns.

All the best

barbaro    10
barbaro

Thanks!

Would anyone else like to comment/advise?

Patricia_Gert    10
Patricia_Gert

Hi Barbaro,

In my opinion the Natura series coins are always very beautiful and popular with collectors (world wide). The smaller coins like the 1/10 and 1/4 Oz is also very easy to sell in case you need to convert you investment in cash quickly. Past growth rates on the Natura series coins are also good.

The Heritage coins are newer additions and only time will tell how popular they will be with future collectors, however, it is probably worth getting a few.

However if I had the money to buy only one, I would go for the Natura :-)

Kind Regards

Gert

Algreco    10
Algreco
However if I had the money to buy only one, I would go for the Natura :-)

And if at all possible, try acquiring specimens with the mint mark!

barbaro    10
barbaro

Excuse my ignorance but what is the mint mark?