Sign in to follow this  
brad112

International postage

brad112    10
brad112

Hi all,

I keep having this issue and would like some advise.

In my postage options I clearly state "No international postage (out of South Africa) offered without previous arrangement." despite this I get buyers and bidders who just bid or buy anyway. I currently have a bid from someone outside SA, the postage I have listed is R25... obviously this is nowhere close to how much it will actually cost. Can I delete their bid as they have not read my postage options? And what reason do I give as Bid or Buy does not offer this specific reason.

What would happen if I allow the bidder to win and then they refuse to pay the proper international postage cost and issue me with a negative rating for this, likewise if an international buyer places an order and pays the calculated amount then refuses to accept they need to pay for the additional costs?

Thanks,

Brad

Kit W    10
Kit W

Hi Brad

If this buyer wins your auction let him / her know that shipping is extra outside RSA and that he must add the correct amount before shipping - normally buyers outside RSA will know that the shipping is extra

Good luck

Kit

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

One suggestion is that when you list your shipping you say, quite clearly:

"Postage and packaging in SA with tracking number ..."

If someone "international" wants to bid then they know the shipping costs will be higher and have no reason to argue the point with you!

wayjen    10
wayjen

Instead of starting a new thread I decided to grab onto this one.

It was, until recently, a pleasure doing business with overseas buyers. In the last 2/3 weeks we have had endless problems with international buyers questioning our international postage costs. Some international buyers bid first then only after we go to the post office to get an international price and submit it to them, they turn around and ask why so much?

Some think we ship internationally for free and some think that if THEY send a parcel to South Africa, the price should be the same if WE send one to them. They seem to think that because they got an item for a bargain the shipping will be less too.

We cannot thumbsuck a price for international buyers nor do we use the SAPO book for these prices and we go into the PO and ask for a price with tracking number and this is printed out for us.

I have just received a Q&a for a shipping price to the USA for a R25 item, do I want the stress of fighting over postage, I don't know.

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL

Maybe you should just state that postage prices listed are for South Africa only,International customers should contact seller regarding postage fees before bidding!!

:shock:

wayjen    10
wayjen
Maybe you should just state that postage prices listed are for South Africa only,International customers should contact seller regarding postage fees before bidding!!

:shock:

Even then they still have problems.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Why not charge a "flat" rate - e.g. $40 to the US or £25 to UK (just for example) - and make sure that it covers all costs of normal shipping?

wayjen    10
wayjen
Why not charge a "flat" rate - e.g. $40 to the US or £25 to UK (just for example) - and make sure that it covers all costs of normal shipping?

Sounds interesting. Would it work or does it work?

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Sounds interesting. Would it work or does it work?

Not sure - it is just an idea. If you find out the standard shipping rates for various sizes of parcels to various common destinations then you should be able to come up with some ball-park figures which cover everything.

Hope that the other traders can give you some hints and tips.

wayjen    10
wayjen

Damn good idea. Will speak to Jenny when she gets home about this.

Thanks MsPlod for the idea.