Sign in to follow this  
Guest MacMuffin

New bidorbuy user interface (look and feel) - Feedback

Pickle Bearies

Hi, just want to say I think it is very important to display the sellers names with the items on the front page. Bob needs the sellers and the sellers need bob, it goes both ways and I think it is important to honour the sellers products by displaying their names with their items.

Cali Craft and Gems

All I can say is that for a "payday week" the crazy auctions were pathetic - and I'm not the only gem / jewellery seller with this opinion. By late afternoon on Wed, most items weren't even off the R1 mark yet. With me paying over R450 in listing and enhancement fees alone over and above the cost of the items, this was a very "eina" crazy day. Three items that should have brought in close to R1000 each went for less than R400 each! I find the problem here to be the "highlighted" option - no longer yellow and standing out - now just an odd flag-thingy in the corner. Not happy...

Seeds for Africa

Hi Several points

1) Am I missing something or is it no longer possible to search from lowest to highest price?

2) Is it no longer possible to search by "hottest items".

3) I spend a lot of money on highlighted listings. The little flag thingy in the corner just isnt worth it any more. I suspect other sellers will feel the same and bob's revenue for this will be dipping.

4) I tried out the bold listing enhancement. Its not bold enough so not worth the cash spent to use it. It just doesnt stand out as it should. My opinion.

5) What happenned to "Red Hot"?

Overall I like the feel except for the points raised.

Thanks

Grant

Cali Craft and Gems

I agree with GAMU - 2 points sellers, 0 points BoB...

Guest MacMuffin

1) Am I missing something or is it no longer possible to search from lowest to highest price?

It is still there - there is a "Sort by" option and you can still select "Sort by lowest Price"

It is also in the same drop-down box

3) I spend a lot of money on highlighted listings. The little flag thingy in the corner just isnt worth it any more. I suspect other sellers will feel the same and bob's revenue for this will be dipping.

We decided that the orange-background for highlighted just turned the whole page orange and felt that highlighting lost it's purpose. The little "satchel" does stand out more in our opinion and is easier to spot.

4) I tried out the bold listing enhancement. Its not bold enough so not worth the cash spent to use it. It just doesnt stand out as it should. My opinion.

We find that the bolded feature does stand out (if you look at the homepage or crazy auctions.

We dropped "Red Hot" to simplify the item display for users

kyle2

I don't know about anyone else, but when I log on, the log on menu keeps disapearing, have to keep chasing it with the mouse. A time delay would be nice, gives one a chance to type the username and password without have to move the mouse over the login button the whole time.

Seeds for Africa

It is still there - there is a "Sort by" option and you can still select "Sort by lowest Price"

It is also in the same drop-down box

We decided that the orange-background for highlighted just turned the whole page orange and felt that highlighting lost it's purpose. The little "satchel" does stand out more in our opinion and is easier to spot.

We find that the bolded feature does stand out (if you look at the homepage or crazy auctions.

We dropped "Red Hot" to simplify the item display for users

Thanks Mac

I have to disagree with you on both the highlighted listing option and the bold listing option. It just doesnt make sense to me to utilise these any longer as I cant see the value in them, as they are by no means as highlighted as they used to be.

Thks

Lukeness

I can't see a problem with the bold listings, the test is bold as stated.

The orange 'satchel' for the highlighted listings though, looks inconsequential. Only now that it's been said here do I actually know what it is for. It seems more like a distraction rather than an attraction.

Miss Jewels

Lukeness, I fully agree on the "highlighted" listings. I will not be making use of this in the future and I also feel it is inconsequential. I was wondering what the little "thingie" in the corner was and why only certain sellers had it....LOL

The orange 'satchel' for the highlighted listings though, looks inconsequential. Only now that it's been said here do I actually know what it is for. It seems more like a distraction rather than an attraction.

Seeds for Africa

It is bold as stated, I just dont think bold enough to warrant a R5 charge per item you list in this manner.

Asha Craft

I too, will stop using the highlight listing with immediate effect. An orange "satchel" is NOT a highlight. It is actually barely noticeable and a big step backwards for BoB features.

ATA STAMP CENTRE

HI

The discreet icon is not showing on the listing?or i cannot see it anyway-only when you open the item can you then see that it is a discreet listing at the left under the thumbnail-any reasons for this-i dont support discreet listings so i waste my time by opening certain listings i am not interested in as i cannot see they are discreet-any one else think this is a problem?

neil

booksallsizes

I was wondering what the orange 'satchel' was - had to scrutinize listings before I noticed one. I don't use highlighted listings but I can see how it could be very annoying to spend extra money on that....

PrimoGems

Hi Guys

I have two problems, the first one is the filtering of the payment options. I am not verified as a few years ago I owned my own business and

I had series of unfortunate events and therefore was blacklisted. I contacted Bob and wanted to know if I stood a chance to get verified and

they told me to not waste my time as I would never be able to be a verified seller and therefore could never accept credit card. So I had to

use an external source and have to use Payfast and luckily they had no problem. I had to explain that to you in order for you to understand where

the problem comes in when users filter for credit card payments only. As I am a gemstone seller, I will revolve around the gemstone section only

as it is easier, but I have two valid points. The gemstone section currently has 16000 items, once you select credit card payment only it drops to

10000 items which means the person who wants to buy with a credit card will not see your lovely item nor the other person who is not verified so

there is no temptation for him to purchase an item via eft just because he really likes the item, so in my point of view it is damaging for sellers and

for BOB. Think about it if 6000 items are missing from the gemstone section, how many are missing from the whole site once he clicks that filter?

The second problem I noticed in the gem section, but it is most likely all over the site. Step one: Click on gemstones and then on Tanzanites, on the top of the page are the four featured items in the big blocks. There are roughly 13 featured pages, with 40 listings in each page, once you click on page 2 the four large blocks that used to rotate from seller to seller are no longer there. These will only be there on the first page once you go to the second and third and so on you as a paying seller are wasting your money, because you want to be up there as the big blocks show you off.

But, other than that I don’t mind the new look and feel a change is as good as a holiday. But please give it some thought how damaging the filter

could be for a lot of the sellers.

Regards to all

Primo

Edited by PrimoGems

voldermort

I brought this up yesterday & have had no response.........is there a reason why on the Premium Listings Home Page sellers names are no longer featured? As to PrimoGems query above I have to agree, BoBPay, BobCredit & PayPal only, leaving all other methods of payment out in the cold.

Cali Craft and Gems

As per other sellers, from now on I will not be using the "bold" or "highlighted" enhancements as they are not "in your face" enough like previously. This will result in a loss of R5 or R10 extra per listing (promotion auctions) from my side alone which adds up to several hundred rands each month. BoB is shooting themselves in the foot with that unwelcome change!

Guest MacMuffin

Hi all,

some feedback from our side:

• Filtering: All filters are optional and allow the buyer to select products based on their requirements. In the past we had the issue, that buyers overlooked payment methods and then either aborted the checkout (in case of buy nows) or never paid resulting in SNCs due to buyers not wanting to pay via certain payment methods.

Going forward (in the next 4-5 months) we will introduce additional filtering options per category which will allow buyers to drill down on brand and other product specific attributes (i.e. book publisher, artist, size for clothing, display size of laptops etc) and we believe that giving buyers those choices will be very important to take our businesses forward. With now already over 710,000 products listed, search alone will not allow a buyer to make a sensible choice.

The current filtering options are also building blocks to allow easier navigation on mobile devices (we will release mobile apps for Apple, Android and BB over the next months). While some filtering choices might not necessarily make sense to some sellers, the long-term vision of supporting multiple channels and devices requires us to revisit how search and browsing was done in the past.

@PrimoGems - based on your transaction history it is very well possible to accept credit cards. I am unsure if you have recently contacted bidorbuy directly to discuss this matter.

• Seller details on homepage: While we believe it is important to build a seller's brand, we feel equally strong to "level" the playing field especially on the home-page. New sellers get discouraged in paying for enhancements as their lack of initial ratings makes it very difficult to compete with established sellers. Having said that, our search improvements over the next few weeks will take a number of criterias into consideration when "boosting" the display of items (we will boost based on sellers trading history, enhancement as well as relevance of the search result - something we currently don't apply 100% correctly).

• Change to highlighted feature: We feel that the orange highlighting has lost it's relevance as most category pages resulted in orange blocks and not really discriminating highlighted features as strongly as they used to in the past. By placing the "satchel" we think that it gives a better visual clue. The same can be said about the "bold" feature which in my mind really makes the item stand out.

We will however in the future look at different ways of visually highlighting items, but never really liked the orange background.

• Discreet items: We will expand on the filtering for those items. Looking at usability, especially new users did not understand what the "D" stands for and where reluctant to actually look at the item (in their mind it was something 'inappropriate') and we decided to leave any icons off from the listing views.

Our intention with the new UI and the upcoming item UI is to boost sales and judging from the last few days we can honestly say, that sales have improved across the board. So while some sellers feel that certain features might not be suitable, we would like to see the new UI settle in and will make ongoing improvements where applicable.

Considering the amount of changes required to complete this phase and the number of operating systems and browsers we had to test, we can gladly say, that we achieved a consistent look & feel across all platforms, which is important as it will allow us to attract new users and make their purchasing a lot easier.

RAG Auctioneers

Thumb up

Neux

it would only be fair if our names were displayed along with the item names on home page / premium listing. After all we are paying for advertisement.

Take a TV ad as an example. Wouldn’t that TV add be senseless if the product being advertised does not feature the brand or company that is selling that item

Seeds for Africa
it would only be fair if our names were displayed along with the item names on home page / premium listing. After all we are paying for advertisement.

Take a TV ad as an example. Wouldn’t that TV add be senseless if the product being advertised does not feature the brand or company that is selling that item

100% AGREED. Why pay for a homepage listing if your name isnt displayed. Another enhancement that I will be dropping as just not worth it any longer.

Guest MacMuffin
100% AGREED. Why pay for a homepage listing if your name isnt displayed. Another enhancement that I will be dropping as just not worth it any longer.

To promote your product of course. The product offering (thumbnail, description and price) should be appealing enough for the buyer to click through. If established sellers drop out of enhancements it will give an opportunity to competitors - I don't think dropping enhancements because of a sellers name not showing would be the right choice.

Seeds for Africa
Hi all,

some feedback from our side:

• Filtering: All filters are optional and allow the buyer to select products based on their requirements. In the past we had the issue, that buyers overlooked payment methods and then either aborted the checkout (in case of buy nows) or never paid resulting in SNCs due to buyers not wanting to pay via certain payment methods.

Going forward (in the next 4-5 months) we will introduce additional filtering options per category which will allow buyers to drill down on brand and other product specific attributes (i.e. book publisher, artist, size for clothing, display size of laptops etc) and we believe that giving buyers those choices will be very important to take our businesses forward. With now already over 710,000 products listed, search alone will not allow a buyer to make a sensible choice.

The current filtering options are also building blocks to allow easier navigation on mobile devices (we will release mobile apps for Apple, Android and BB over the next months). While some filtering choices might not necessarily make sense to some sellers, the long-term vision of supporting multiple channels and devices requires us to revisit how search and browsing was done in the past.

@PrimoGems - based on your transaction history it is very well possible to accept credit cards. I am unsure if you have recently contacted bidorbuy directly to discuss this matter.

• Seller details on homepage: While we believe it is important to build a seller's brand, we feel equally strong to "level" the playing field especially on the home-page. New sellers get discouraged in paying for enhancements as their lack of initial ratings makes it very difficult to compete with established sellers. Having said that, our search improvements over the next few weeks will take a number of criterias into consideration when "boosting" the display of items (we will boost based on sellers trading history, enhancement as well as relevance of the search result - something we currently don't apply 100% correctly).

• Change to highlighted feature: We feel that the orange highlighting has lost it's relevance as most category pages resulted in orange blocks and not really discriminating highlighted features as strongly as they used to in the past. By placing the "satchel" we think that it gives a better visual clue. The same can be said about the "bold" feature which in my mind really makes the item stand out.

We will however in the future look at different ways of visually highlighting items, but never really liked the orange background.

• Discreet items: We will expand on the filtering for those items. Looking at usability, especially new users did not understand what the "D" stands for and where reluctant to actually look at the item (in their mind it was something 'inappropriate') and we decided to leave any icons off from the listing views.

Our intention with the new UI and the upcoming item UI is to boost sales and judging from the last few days we can honestly say, that sales have improved across the board. So while some sellers feel that certain features might not be suitable, we would like to see the new UI settle in and will make ongoing improvements where applicable.

Considering the amount of changes required to complete this phase and the number of operating systems and browsers we had to test, we can gladly say, that we achieved a consistent look & feel across all platforms, which is important as it will allow us to attract new users and make their purchasing a lot easier.

I am confused. You say that you are trying to level the playing field by not showing sellers names on home page listings. Then you talk about boosting based on sellers trading history, which thus means that a more established seller would be favoured over a newer seller? I am a bit confused as I dont really understand the "boosting" and what criteria will be used to favour one sellers products over anothers? Does this mean that a seller with less ratings who is selling the same item, will automatically be shown below that of a more well established seller?

Have I read this wrong?

Thanks

Seeds for Africa
To promote your product of course. The product offering (thumbnail, description and price) should be appealing enough for the buyer to click through. If established sellers drop out of enhancements it will give an opportunity to competitors - I don't think dropping enhancements because of a sellers name not showing would be the right choice.

Sellers use enhanced features to to not only promote thir products but to promote their brands and the other items that they sell. I am sure that bob have done extensive market research, so I am merely stating my opinion, and how I feel about the new look enhancements.

As for the satchel, I think it would be a whole lot more effective if it was somewhere near the image, as it seems a bit lost to the right of the advert.

Edited by Seeds for Africa

brands online

A seller's name and reputation is perhaps the most integral part of their business on BOB. The field has always been level in that everyone started with a clean sheet and zero ratings. Sellers are 'recognised' alongside the products they advertise because of their reputations (ratings). Taking the seller's name away from a home page listing that costs materially more than a normal listing takes away from that.

Guest MacMuffin
I am confused. You say that you are trying to level the playing field by not showing sellers names on home page listings. Then you talk about boosting based on sellers trading history, which thus means that a more established seller would be favoured over a newer seller? I am a bit confused as I dont really understand the "boosting" and what criteria will be used to favour one sellers products over anothers? Does this mean that a seller with less ratings who is selling the same item, will automatically be shown below that of a more well established seller?

Have I read this wrong?

Thanks

When I speak of "boosting" I meant this in the context of search (and not browsing). If you search for an "iPhone 4 32GB" we will boost the search result based on exact keyword match (i.e. a new seller with the exact search phrase will feature above sellers who just list the item as "iPhone 4"). If multiple feature the product with the exact search term, we will favor sellers based on their trading history (ratings and a number of internal criterias) as well as the enhancements placed on an item.

The display when browsing a category is different, as in this case we take enhancements into consideration (i.e. a seller with enhancements and good trading history will always outrank a seller without those). As soon as a buyer does a "Search within" in the category pages, we will boost items based on the search relevancy within the regular listings (and as you might noticed, the featured/premium items narrow based on those keywords).

With regards to seller brand promotion, you will have started to notice that our marketing guys are placing category specific banners to promote sellers (this is a paid feature) and you can see this for Audi Fourways in the car-section.